Looking for some perspective

jwmay

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello all,

The intent of this post is to make a request of members here that may be useful to a lot of people, including me. My Grizzly G0705 came with a 6” milling vise. I like it. It’s easy to use, and quicker than setting up jobs on the table. It also reduces how far I have to extend the quill during milling operations. But it’s too big for this mill. I don’t have full table travel because the front of the vise casting hits the column base casting well before I’d hit any machine limit. In addition, the back end of the vise obscures my view of the handwheel dial, and is just generally in the way.

I’ve searched the internet as much as I believe adequate, but haven’t found the images I was searching for. What I’m looking for are pictures of a milling vise of a specified dimension on a table of a specified dimension. I got to thinking that this forum might be a place where asking for this might not be totally out of line. So I figured I’d start with what I’m thinking would be useful views for prospective buyers of milling vises. So I’m hoping I’ve attached threeC8E4D992-C570-418A-942E-266F21478E95.jpegF185B20D-CA9B-4C8C-BA9D-5BDC85385F54.jpeg3E27E846-7E52-4547-B40D-0C3B70AB5527.jpeg views of my 6” grizzly milling vise on a 28 5/8” x 8 1/4” milling table. I’m sure that works out to whole metric numbers but bear with me. Anybody else want to donate some visual perspective?

You Need a bigger mill , ied keep the vice for when you get one, it’s tradable for small one, ied keep it

Yep, looks to me like you could do well with a smaller vise.
Grizzly has a 3” vise at 9” x 4” and a 4” vise at 12” x 5” where your 6” is 16” x 8”
Have you talked to the folks at Grizzly?

I have a mill drill that looks the same and has similar table dimensions and I have a 4" vice on it. Which in my opinion is a good fit. The vise is an Asian vice I paid CAD $99.00 and I'm very happy with it for the price. I thought about getting the 6" vice but after looking at them in person I figured the 4" was about right. I think a larger vice would limit the Y movement of the table. With this one I get full movement.

In any case here's some pics of my vice on the table. Hope this helps.
1514011282927.png
1514011408540.png

That looks like a round column mill of the RF-30/31 ilk. I don't have pics but I have a 4" Kurt that fits my mill and needs quite well.

Yep, looks to me like you could do well with a smaller vise.
Grizzly has a 3” vise at 9” x 4” and a 4” vise at 12” x 5” where your 6” is 16” x 8”
Have you talked to the folks at Grizzly?
No, I haven’t spoken with anyone at Grizzly. But feel a bit sheepish that I didn’t track down those specs on my own. Thank you.

No, I haven’t spoken with anyone at Grizzly. But feel a bit sheepish that I didn’t track down those specs on my own. Thank you.

I find specs are not easy to visualize and actually seeing the product on the machine clears things up pretty quickly. I wouldn't be sheepish about not checking the specs. The supplier should have realized that vise was too big and would restrict some of the table movements, or at least provided options and reasons for the options. No big deal though. From what I've read on this forum Grizzly is great to deal with and will look after you if you are not satisfied.

I have a 4" om my round column also. It seems to fit well for the size of the machine. I thought the 6" would be a bit large for a machine of this size.

There are a few things you could do. First I would take off the swivel. It makes the setup much stronger. If you need it you can put it back on. Second you could move the vise one slot forward or mill new key slots in the bottom of the vise. Or you could saw off the flange on the front of the vise. Always a way. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Enco 30 with a Kurt 4in, It works good, The end of the vice is just about in line with the back of the Table, and the front does hang over but can still see past it.

Back