Looking for someone with home CNC

Wobbles

Active User
Registered
Hi ! Long-time member who hasn't posted in a long time.

I'm trying to restore an antique clock case. The missing wooden part was originally 3 pieces of molding mitered together. The assembled part measures 5 x 6 x 2.5 inches tall. I thought... rather than make molding, why not machine the part out of 1 solid block of wood? The part has a complicated convex-concave shape, but it is equally replicated on 3 sides. It is basically symmetrical about the 2 axes.

I think the part could be roughed out on a hobbyist 3-axis CNC mill, after which I'd do the final sanding and finishing. The problem is I don't know anyone like that. So I'd like to get in touch with someone (preferably near by) who could generate several of these parts.

Photos of the original mitered part are attached. The part I'd like to achieve is like the 3rd photo with the flat part filling in the small opening.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_20220911_163540519.jpg
    IMG_20220911_163540519.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20220913_155804830.jpg
    IMG_20220913_155804830.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20220927_175939902.jpg
    IMG_20220927_175939902.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 16
You must be using a phone. My apologies. On a computer the location is disclosed in the LH column.... NE Georgia.

After 30 years, I can't get accustomed to the idea of using a phone to access the web.

Last edited:
Can't help you with the machining, but just wanted to make a comment about your idea of making the part out of a solid block. I assume you are aware that if you do that, two sides will be showing the end grain of the wood. Nothing wrong with that if you're o.k. with it.
Ted

I agree with talvare, I think you will have a better outcome by keeping the mitered design. Someone with a wood shaper could turn out a molding like that fairly easily. It might not be a perfect match to the original so you could replace all of them 2? 4? so they look alike.

You must be using a phone. My apologies. On a computer the location is disclosed in the LH column.... NE Georgia.
I am using a 55" 4k monitor on a computer, but I think the forum software is a bit flaky on showing locations. For example my location is the only one I see in this thread.

Well, rabler, you might need some technical help. LOL! His location showed up here. We could help him easily if distance wasn't an issue. Just finished making a bunch of white oak molding for the barrister book case using Stanley's infamous molding planes.

Wobbles, methinks you won't be happy with machining it out of one piece for reasons mentioned above. PM me. Just in case, I'm in southern Indiana...coupla days walk from GA.
DanK

Back