Looking for thoughts on material for project

verbotenwhisky

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am building a large fly cutter, I will be machining it with an R8 connection for my mill and it will join the fly cutter disk (a 8.75" dia piece of 6061 Aluminum) at a pressed connection with a small 4 bolt flange. I have a piece of 4041 but it is a bit smaller in Dia than I would like and I have a piece of 1045 which in a great fit. I am curious about the thought on using the 1045 for this application as opposed to the 4041.

You're basically going to use the steel (4041, 1045) to make the actual R8 piece? From my strictly amateur perspective in selecting steel for that, I'd want something that would give a good finish when turned to minimize the emory cloth work. In this case that finish will form the mating surfaces with the R8 spindle so better contact with a good finish.

We use 1045 TGP at work for lots of different shafting, should be fine for this application
I had read that the 1045 was a good material for shaft and gear work but could require hardening, Do you think It would be okay if I left it the standard hardness? or would it require heat treating?

You're basically going to use the steel (4041, 1045) to make the actual R8 piece? From my strictly amateur perspective in selecting steel for that, I'd want something that would give a good finish when turned to minimize the emory cloth work. In this case that finish will form the mating surfaces with the R8 spindle so better contact with a good finish.
That is a very good point.

I had read that the 1045 was a good material for shaft and gear work but could require hardening, Do you think It would be okay if I left it the standard hardness? or would it require heat treating?
We do not heat treat the shafting.

I was thinking it don't matter what kind of steel it is if it's press fit in 6061. Cheap steel would be ideal in that case, free would be even better.

I was thinking it don't matter what kind of steel it is if it's press fit in 6061. Cheap steel would be ideal in that case, free would be even better.
I had the same thought, the reason I asked the question is that everyone of these I see are built with 4140 or at least 4000 series steel and I did not know what the reasoning was, is there is something going on there that I am missing....

Back