Looking for thoughts on material for project

In that picture, yes. I don't have any space constraints, so I like the EM holder. It makes it feel less crowded under the spindle compared to a collet, which works equally well.
I really like my end mill holders, I spend a bit of money to get the good ones and they are a pleasure to use.

I really like my end mill holders, I spend a bit of money to get the good ones and they are a pleasure to use.
As expensive as these things get, I'm going to be happy if I can replace my Shars R8 stuff with Yuasa someday. I dare not dream of Euro manufacture, I don't wear gold, and I've never owned a new car. What do you consider the good ones?

As expensive as these things get, I'm going to be happy if I can replace my Shars R8 stuff with Yuasa someday. I dare not dream of Euro manufacture, I don't wear gold, and I've never owned a new car. What do you consider the good ones?
After looking at several brands I bought the Accusize brand, Canadian. https://accusizetools.com/pages/about-us I have bought a number of items from them and the price point is in the shares neighborhood, very good quality. the end mill holders I have cost between 35 and 50 bucks US. I would like SPI but they are a bit out of my price range.

.060 is pretty impressive. I have been reevaluating the use of carbide, I like it but I broke and insert off rounding the end of a piece of 1018 square bar last weekend, Carbine really doesn't like to be slapped around....

I’ve taken way deeper cuts in aluminum, it’s all about how you approach it.

If I want a nice finish I’ll use a good mill (I’m spoiled for choice at work) and take a light cut with a fast spindle speed.

If I need to remove material I’ll use a ****ty mill and I’m not afraid to take upwards of .100 with power feed and a slow spindle speed.

Not going to get too far into specifics as I don’t want to give people bad ideas and help them ruin their machine.

There are a multitude of grades of carbide, some way tougher and more tolerant of abuse than others. But I do agree with using HSS over carbide, especially over an insert.

ETA: yes, having a flange is worlds different than what I had envisioned.

Last edited:
I’ve taken way deeper cuts in aluminum, it’s all about how you approach it.

If I want a nice finish I’ll use a good mill (I’m spoiled for choice at work) and take a light cut with a fast spindle speed.

If I need to remove material I’ll use a ****ty mill and I’m not afraid to take upwards of .100 with power feed and a slow spindle speed.

Not going to get too far into specifics as I don’t want to give people bad ideas and help them ruin their machine.

There are a multitude of grades of carbide, some way tougher and more tolerant of abuse than others. But I do agree with using HSS over carbide, especially over an insert.

ETA: yes, having a flange is worlds different than what I had envisioned.
I have a 3" face mill that I have used to take up to .200 cuts in aluminum, but I never thought of taking more that .010 with a fly cutter. I just always viewed those as face finishing tools, never even occurred to me to take a serious bite with one.

I have a 3" face mill that I have used to take up to .200 cuts in aluminum, but I never thought of taking more that .010 with a fly cutter. I just always viewed those as face finishing tools, never even occurred to me to take a serious bite with one.
Instead, try imagining it as a shaper. A big strong sharp bit peeling off chips that ring when they hit the floor.

It’s certainly not the intuitive thing to do when you first see that thing whipping around.

Tool profile, machine rigidity and technique all play a part.

Sneak up on it and you will be OK, use someone else’s program and you’ll be in for a ride.

Back