Looking for tips to install DRO on my b'port.

D.sebens

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Hey all I recently purchased a DRO from aliexpress. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806254293778.html This is the one I purchased. I understand that part of buying direct means figuring it out but does anybody have a good or favorite link for installing one on a bridgeport? Also I have some more specific questions, there is no installation instructions at all. There is a red shipping clip on the scales, is this also used for a spacer for install? What is the tolerances for mounting the scales? I have extruded aluminum covers that go over the scales. I don't see how these are mounted, am I supposed to screw through them to mount them to the mill?

Most of the time one needs to custom make your own mounting hardware or modify existing parts
when installing a DRO. What is necessary is to have the scales parallel to the axis both side to side and in and out.
Instructions can sometimes be more of a hindrance than a help. It's not that hard to do if you move along
carefully. A parts drawing would be helpful but the installer needs to make the determinations as the project moves along. As far as tolerances goes, go for precision so the best of your ability. It will all work out just fine.
I would mount each scale somewhat loosely and run the axis back and forth to see if anything gives before
you tighten everything up. You want to be sure that there is no binding going on in the travel. Instruction
manuals probably don't go to that level anyway. I wish you the best of luck. You can to it.:encourage:

Thanks! I found some instructions for other glass scales and that helped give me an idea also.

Hey all I recently purchased a DRO from aliexpress. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806254293778.html This is the one I purchased. I understand that part of buying direct means figuring it out but does anybody have a good or favorite link for installing one on a bridgeport? Also I have some more specific questions, there is no installation instructions at all. There is a red shipping clip on the scales, is this also used for a spacer for install? What is the tolerances for mounting the scales? I have extruded aluminum covers that go over the scales. I don't see how these are mounted, am I supposed to screw through them to mount them to the mill?
I installed a 3-axis Ali Express DRO very similar to the one you bought on my BP clone. I found a pretty comprehensive set of BP DRO installation videos on this guy's YouTube video channel that might be useful.

I installed the Z on the knee and also bought a cheap I-gaging scale for the quill. My installation is modelled in Fusion 360. If it might be helpful to you, PM me and I will send you a set of the dimensioned installation drawings

I've also been wanting a DRO for my BP...Please give feedback on how it goes and if you are happy with your purchase. The price is amazing I must say.

I too just purchased an Ali DRO. Hopefully I get the correct length of scale. The web page does not have a selection to specify, just that you are to sent them a note or message...which I have done. Keeping my fingers crossed.
How long did it take to get your DRO...

This one...https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806250192672.html?spm=a2g0o.order_detail.order_detail_item.3.4ab3f19cnkNg8L&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

I too just purchased an Ali DRO. Hopefully I get the correct length of scale. The web page does not have a selection to specify, just that you are to sent them a note or message...which I have done. Keeping my fingers crossed.
How long did it take to get your DRO...

This one...https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806250192672.html?spm=a2g0o.order_detail.order_detail_item.3.4ab3f19cnkNg8L&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa
Less than a week. It’s amazing how they have the logistics down. I remember using dealextreme years ago and it took 1-1.5 months to get here

I got the x and y installed today. Simple task with lots of measuring. There was a bar plate bolted to the y from a previous dro I was able to use. I still need to mount the shield for the Y axis, do the z axis, and mount the box. I tested the x and y and they basically re-zero after going full travel and back. I say basically because they don’t have a full stop, when it stops at the end you can force it a smidge more(or less).

I just got notice it has been shipped...hopefully not on a Chinese junk across the Pacific...LOL

Mine was sent ups global. I don’t know how they can do that for free.

This is what I assume as the ups label has chinese stamping on it.

Back