Looking for tips to install DRO on my b'port.

I'm with ya, Free shipping from China...whew. The other DRO I was looking at had $100.00 shipping and was about $200.00 more before shipping! Would'a been more like $500 OTD

Well I got the Z working. I had to cut down the shield to fit it. It offers minimal protection and the easiest attachment would be affixing it to the scale. Was thinking a dab of silicone to hold it so I could pull it apart in the future. The other option is to just not install it since the weatherstrips are already facing away? I do think it looks nicer with the cover and I suppose it will help keep some chips from dropping on top of the read head.

I still need to mount the cover over the Y axis and mount the head. I also need to see if I can reverse the way the count is on the y and x. It goes the opposite direction of how I would think I would want it to count. I'm guessing there is a setting to reverse that?

IMG_3050.jpegIMG_3051.jpegIMG_3052.jpegIMG_3053.jpeg

Well I got the Z working. I had to cut down the shield to fit it. It offers minimal protection and the easiest attachment would be affixing it to the scale. Was thinking a dab of silicone to hold it so I could pull it apart in the future. The other option is to just not install it since the weatherstrips are already facing away? I do think it looks nicer with the cover and I suppose it will help keep some chips from dropping on top of the read head.

I still need to mount the cover over the Y axis and mount the head. I also need to see if I can reverse the way the count is on the y and x. It goes the opposite direction of how I would think I would want it to count. I'm guessing there is a setting to reverse that?

View attachment 486067View attachment 486068View attachment 486069View attachment 486070
Looks good! My scales have a setting in the manual for reversing the direction of readout of each axis.

Got it all installed! Pretty much bang on to my dials. Tends to be less than 1 thou deviation most times. Over 8 inches of z travel it was about 4-5 thou off of the dial. Who knows where the discrepancy is. Either 40 year old screws or Chinese scales but I’m happy with it!

Attachments

• IMG_3057.jpeg
    IMG_3057.jpeg
    500.7 KB · Views: 2
Also some thoughts from my install. I got the scales leveled in both axis’s to 2-4 thou. I feel like maybe you could caveman it and still work. I don’t know how these scales work but it feels like maybe the measuring piece is on some sort of track inside and the outer part is free to float some. The read heads can really move around. There was some advice earlier to get them as straight as you can and that seems to be good advice. I think you get it within reason and it will work fine.

Back