Looking for TOT's layout ruler.

Razzle

Jack of All, Master of None
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am looking for a layout ruler like I have seen in This old Tony and also on Dream Steam. It looks like an offset slide ruler used for layout. You set the measurement and set it against the edge of the piece to scribe a precision layout line. Does anyone know what this is called and where to get one? TOT's is imperial and the one on Dream Steam is metric.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Are you thinking of a combination square? The right angle attachment is commonly used like that.

Something like this?

Nothing beats a cheap arse $5 dial caliper for layout work . For 5 bucks , I can't buy a half way decent scriber .

I wondered the same thing & really wanted one. Took me a while to figure out what it was & the exact one he has. Apparently they're a wood worker's tool but I've never seen wood workers using them. They're called marking gauges or stop rules, from Lee Valley. When I think marking gauges I think of a different wood workers tool.

ToT has the 8" & I'm 99.9% sure he got it from Lee Valley, it's identical metric/imperial & cause he's got some Veritas tools. I got both the 8" & 12" but really I only use the 8" and I use it pretty often. Comes in very handy for me. I use it for all sorts of stuff, not just for metal working.

20210830_215130.jpg

Stainless steel, made in China & the quality shows. So later on I searched for the "original" or a higher quality one. Don't know who originally made these but I found them made by Helios-Pressier Germany. But I still like using the Lee Valley ones more. The Pressier ones I have just been sitting in a drawer. There are others who sell em but are metric only or imperial only.

20210830_215235.jpg
20210830_215307.jpg

@darkzero that is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. Metric and imperial is perfect for my needs.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

i don’t remember seeing TOT’s but I bumped into this one on eBay. It’s very sturdy, the marks are accurate and one side has rollers so it can do curved surfaces which worked perfectly when I did the curved sheetmetal bulkheads. It came with a bunch of pencil leads to replace the scribe point with. It also fits my thin markers.

Attachments

• 3EC884DB-BEBC-4CD6-AC49-0CC8266FA440.jpeg
    3EC884DB-BEBC-4CD6-AC49-0CC8266FA440.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 20
Back