Looking for vertical band saw

drs23

Active User
Registered
I've got a 4 X 6 horizontal and a looking to add a vertical band saw now that fabricating has come more to the forefront. I've been looking for a while and ran across this one. It's a Rutland, made in Taiwan. What do you guys think about this saw @ $750? Being a 3 phase isn't an issue since I have a RPC in place already. This saw has been listed since July 4th and still available. I'm thinking about offering $500 and seeing if it will buy it. Do you guys think that's fair/good offer, insult or no?

I've tried to research this brand but haven't been able to turn much up.

Any response is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dale

Dale---it looks like a good well made vertical bandsaw and has a blade welder also---I think $500 is a good fair offer--I would say go for it----Dave

Ah, the delicate art of faceless Craigslist negotiations!

Lemme explain. I'm a Yankee that worked in military logistics and spent some time buying things from Afghans. I tend to think of prices as negotiable. $500 is more than I would start with, even if I were willing to go that high.

Ya see, in New England we don't brag about how much we spent on something. We brag about how much we saved.

It does look like a good saw.

I guess since it comes with it's own blade welder that the blades are an odd size?:dunno:

I guess since it comes with it's own blade welder that the blades are an odd size?:dunno:

Fancy bandsaws always include a welder. With it you can quickly repair broken blades, save money by buying blade in bulk, and cut inside closed holes by looping a piece of blade through, welding it, doing your cut, and then cutting the blade to get it out. Wish I had one. I braze blades, but that's slow. Something else to build some day.

That is exactly the same bandsaw that I have,sold by MSC,rebadged MSC,with the same color paint. $750.00 is a steal. I think they now cost between $2,000 and $3,000(but I could be wrong. Check in the MSC catalog for their 14" saw.)

Someone messed with the blade welder on mine,and we got it to work ONCE. I gave up and bought a separate blade welder. I think I needed a better electrician. Not saying there is any reason yours won't work. It is a good,solid saw. I think you should get it asap and pay what the guy wants if necessary. He's asking a very reasonable price. Don't **** him off. That saw has a very strong frame,that won't flex under pressure,causing the blade to stop in the cut and thoroughly jam. It has a variable speed hand wheel you crank. I'm quite happy with mine,welder or not.

I paid $800.00 for mine about 15 years ago,and thought I was lucky.

That is exactly the same bandsaw that I have,sold by MSC,rebadged MSC,with the same color paint. $750.00 is a steal. I think they now cost between $2,000 and $3,000(but I could be wrong. Check in the MSC catalog for their 14" saw.)

Someone messed with the blade welder on mine,and we got it to work ONCE. I gave up and bought a separate blade welder. I think I needed a better electrician. Not saying there is any reason yours won't work. It is a good,solid saw. I think you should get it asap and pay what the guy wants if necessary. He's asking a very reasonable price. Don't **** him off. That saw has a very strong frame,that won't flex under pressure,causing the blade to stop in the cut and thoroughly jam. It has a variable speed hand wheel you crank. I'm quite happy with mine,welder or not.

I paid $800.00 for mine about 15 years ago,and thought I was lucky.

Thank you George. That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. I couldn't find much info on them and since it's been listed since 06-04 I figured I would bid him on it. Still will but if he's solid at that asking price I now won't feel like I'm having a turn in the barrel, if you will. My thought process was trying to get it on premise for the total asking price. It's right at a 550 mile RT as he won't ship so I'm thinking my fuel will just about be covered.

Oh and Charles, though not from Maine I can appreciate the go-low intro offer but as George mentioned, I don't wanna insult the guy. I had no idea they sold for so much new and this unit appears very lightly used.

Will begin negotiations tomorrow and see what ferrets out and keep you guys posted.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not sure you guys that have been at this as long as you have knows what it means to guys like me that are starting out kinda late. ;^)

Well fellas, all for naught. I called about the Rutland 14" and learned it sold as soon as it listed. FIRST DAY! Oh well, back to the search.

I have the same as xman_charl has, a Wilton 14". I purchased new from our local Grainger about ten years ago now and it has been a pretty good vertical bandsaw. Not heavy duty by any means but not a lightweight POS either. I use it quite a lot and it has not let me down.

I have had to fabricate a new tensioning bolt for the top wheel and I use bi-metal blades that I get from my local Fastenal supply company. It doesn't eat blades as they last quite a while as well.

Mike.

Back