Looking into making wood storage boxes for tooling?

rodm1

Registered
Registered
I need to protect some of my expensive tooling lathe chuck from rust and bumps. Thinking of making wood storage crates for them but I'm in the rust belt anyone have experience in a unheated humid shop? Mostly concerns of rust will coat with LPS3 or the like.

Dehumidifier is a good option if temps are above freezing but the shop dips bellow. I'm afraid the Dehumidifier will freeze and crack.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Get a dehumidifier. Did wonders for my tools.

Not all draw liners are created equal , I have had one that left the pattern of the dots in a light rust on tools.

Stu
Have seen this on some cheap ones (particularly HF); the Zerust ones are treated to prevent rust/corrosion, and the open mesh helps with air circulation.

Zerust got started protecting firearms, many of which (particularly shotguns in your locale) cost significantly more than some entire shops ;)

Dehumidifier is a good option if temps are above freezing but the shop dips bellow. I'm afraid the Dehumidifier will freeze and crack.

I need to protect some of my expensive tooling lathe chuck from rust and bumps. Thinking of making wood storage crates for them but I'm in the rust belt anyone have experience in an unheated humid shop? Mostly concerns of rust will coat with LPS3 or the like.
are you talking like nice individual boxes or ? Personally if I need to permanently store something and not worry about rust there are different size plastic totes that have seals on them( I get mine from Target) and I use Bullfrog emitters in each tote. I‘m a mile from the Pacific Ocean and rust is just a fact of life without constant care. All my machines are treated with FluidFilm and covered until use.

Woods like oak, redwood, cypress, and cedar have a chemical reaction with iron/steel when moisture is present due to tannin's in the wood. Cherry, and walnut also have relatively high amounts of tannin. Light colored woods like maple, poplar, or basswood would be a better choice. My preference would be a coniferous species like pine or fir. I would also coat the inner surfaces with machine oil.

Back