Looking to buy a used verticle knee mill, need suggestions

ksp

Registered
Registered
Looking for help in deciding what to buy for a beginner mill with a dro. What is a good brand and model to look for in general work? Lagun? Milltronics? Bridgeport? I have never run a mill but want to learn.

I like the Bridgeports. All parts available. Condition is everything. Check all the ways with a DTI. Check spindle runout. Hear it run, check everything. There’s lots of info out the as to how and what to check. Rebuilds are expensive. Chrome ways are a big plus. Don’t be fooled by a paint can rebuild. One with a good working industrial DRO is a big plus. Adding a Newall or accu-rite is a 3000$ affair. One shot lube is also a plus. There are deals out there but be careful. If you are really unsure check with local reputable dealers. It will be more expensive but…. probably lower risk if their reputation is good. If looking for a better deal check the auction sites. Good luck !

It depends on what you are interested in making.I started with an 8X33 mill with no ram or nod, very similar to the Grizzly G0731. It wasn't big enough for the stuff I was milling, and Not enough room to tap, etc.

I went to a Bridgeport clone, 9X49, and I'm really happy now, so much that I have 3 mills - 9X49, 8X38, and 7X42. I guess I'm never happy.

A Burke Millrite doesn’t have all the features of a Bridgeport, but it is an excellent hobby knee mill. It’s no longer made, so parts could be an issue, but some of them are still available. Adding a DRO can be a bit tricky since the surfaces for the Y axis are angled, but it’s doable. I recently added one to mine.

If you have the room, I would suggest a Bridgeport sized mill since it has more features you might want to have as your skills improve. Many of the Bridgeport mills were heavily used in commercial use, so you might be better served with something that comes out of a hobby shop.

Some homework is in order, a clapped out bridgeport is no better than a lot of others, Study up.You can be satisfied with capacity and/or accuracy, only you know. If that's vague, it's meant to be.

I looked for 2-3 years before finding my Lagun locally.

Do you have something in mind that you want to make? Or how about the size? Do you want a full-size Bridgeport or something smaller like a bench top unit?

When I set out to buy a mill, I didn't really have a clue as to what I wanted to make, like you I had no experience on a mill. I looked for a bit for a used mill, but after looking at a couple used ones, I decided to buy a new one. I didn't and still don't have a lot of room but decided on a knee mill. I first ordered a PM-835 after a week or so I was notified that there was a problem and an unknown time frame on delivery. I up graded to a PM-935TS 3-phase with all the bells and whistles. I'm really happy with my decision and I sure have been having fun with it.

Some homework is in order, a clapped out bridgeport is no better than a lot of others, Study up.You can be satisfied with capacity and/or accuracy, only you know. If that's vague, it's meant to be.
A Bridgeport in good condition is also no better than a lot of others. Bridgeports have the name recognition, but, in general, they are not markedly better than many BP clones. They frequently command a higher price than a similar clone. I'm unaware of any BP clones that are inferior machines, though some may exist. Many BP type mills are more stoutly built or have improvements like a 2-speed motor. Probably best to ask about specific machines as you find them.

Thanks for all the replies, keep them coming as it is all good advice. I want a larger mill, not a bench top style as I have had the chance to buy one, but I could see it was just not large enough for my anticipated needs which would be to machine larger parts.

Look for a name brand Taiwan clone if a real good BP does not fall in your lap. I had a Grizzly G0755 first that I learned on, now I have an ACRA LCM 9x50 knee mill. Have fun....

Back