Looking to Purchase some old machine tool

Capt45

Former Member
Here is my problem; I located a old Sheldon Lathe that is in good operating condition with minimal tooling, but I don't know the particulars about the Lathe. What model; are there parts available if the need arose; ect.? What I do know is the Lathe was used by a fella that was a hobbyist Gunsmith and has since moved leaving this Lathe to be sold. The Ways are in exceptional condition with only one nick from an obvious Chuck change. I need to know if $2500 is a fair price and how to access the Lathes overall condition. It has a 70" bed and a 12" swing as best I can tell. It's set up with an Aloris tool holder but the seller wants extra for it. So, basic information as to the model, ect and where I can get a manual. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• sheldon5.jpg
    sheldon5.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 87
  • sheldon.jpg
    sheldon.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 76
  • sheldon3.jpg
    sheldon3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
  • sheldon4.jpg
    sheldon4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 65
  • sheldon2.jpg
    sheldon2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 82
I did inspect the gears and they were in excellent shape. Matter of fact all the edges of the gears were crisp and without any chip out, ect. I think the owner did a gear replacement when he got the Lathe. I just need to know the model of the Lathe to be able to find a Operators/owners manual. I have a smaller Lathe at the present (PM 1022) but this one is a LOT different.

I almost bought one like it a while ago. It's pretty simple to operate, took 5 mins to figure out after being familiar with the South Bend. On the apron there is a 3 position selector for power crossfeed, long feed and threading, then the 1/2 nut lever and the clutch to engage power feeds. The gear box should be self explanatory. Then there will be the backgear engagement and reverse tumbler mechanisms which should be fairly obvious.

Post some questions in the Groups.io I mentioned above. They are very helpful.

Here's a PDF I saved that may help:

Attachments

• _Sheldon_Lathe_Maint_Manual.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
Very nice, thank you. Where would I look for replacement parts if needed? That's a sticking point especially if I'm going to layout $2500 for a Lathe that might need parts in the future.

Ebay for parts, Sheldon is long out of business. $2500 is pretty expensive for a 60 plus year old machine. What are you going to use it for? As i recall spindle bore is pretty small.

If you are in Kansas and it is semi local I would buy it....if he throws in the tool post.
As I recall there is not alot of used machinery in Kansas and if the condition is that good why take a road trip to buy something of lesser quality farther from home?

Back