Looking To Purchase Some Tooling

kennyv

Registered
Registered
Looking to purchase some tooling like some feedback from the experts.
First a 5” or 6 “ mill vice for PM932 what is best fit ?

2nd looking for Quick Change Tool Post Set 5 Holders for a 10x30 lathe

Is the BOSTAR AXA Size Quick Change Tool Post Set A pc of junk?
If so any better alternatives for a reasonable price?

and how bout CDCO machine vises?

was considering the 6 inch mill vise w/ swivel base . If is crapola just say not worth it get better one. In the past I did buy a few things from CDCO some stuff was ok other stuff I sent back and took loss of shipping ….

I may just bite the bullet and order the Homge from Quality machine tools
http://www.machinetoolonline.com/VisesHi...ision.html

But first wanted to know what ya all thought for the Pm 932.
A 5” or the 6” mill vise . Which would be better fit for mill ? esp considering table Y travel to column?

Back to AXA tool Holders in your opinion what is the quality from junk to stay away to ok good for home use lil better quality ?

What is best choice and where would be best price ?
TIA :)

BOSTAR AXA Quick Change
Shars Lathe AXA Wedge Type Quick Change
Phase II AXA Tool Post Set 5 Holders

The AXA Holder is for a lathe with up to a 12 inch swing. The BXA Holder is for 10-15 inch swing lathes. I have a BXA on my 9X20 and experience no problems what-so-ever. I would go with the BXA on your lathe in a heartbeat.

"Billy G"

The AXA Holder is for a lathe with up to a 12 inch swing. The BXA Holder is for 10-15 inch swing lathes. I have a BXA on my 9X20 and experience no problems what-so-ever. I would go with the BXA on your lathe in a heartbeat.

"Billy G"

thanks
what brand is best and least choice ?
is it in this order ?

Phase II
Shars
BOSTAR ,

yea good one Jim ......well I can put the bike in shed like the Mrs said ,, but that aint happening
and Charles they are out of 10x30s not sure when next shipment is coming in ( need to talk w/ Matty ) called to day Nicole was out on errand and helper did not know ..
see moneys is getting like in the red real fast .. every time I turn around its 200-$300 here and 200-$400 there ...
already paid shipping 2xs hate to have to pay again if I decide to wait ..it makes sense big time for the $100 for 8 inches ..but now that can be an extra $350. decisions decisions . This hobby is getting expensive .. now .if I had some work lined up it would be a done deal ...

I got the Phase II set when Enco had a sale and a coupon at the same time. I think it was around the same as the Bostar at the time. I have since bought a couple of oversized 3/4" BXA holders as well as some used older ones and even a genuine Aloris #53. All of them fit the post without issues. I would recommend getting the wedge type over the piston. IIRC, at the time they were even the same price.

I got the Phase II set when Enco had a sale and a coupon at the same time. I think it was around the same as the Bostar at the time. I have since bought a couple of oversized 3/4" BXA holders as well as some used older ones and even a genuine Aloris #53. All of them fit the post without issues. I would recommend getting the wedge type over the piston. IIRC, at the time they were even the same price.

Yupper .. what size lathe are yop referring to using the BXA ?
so the Boster is Ok? help me out got a mental block are we talking the same Model CDCO sells or other I saw maybe Griz or shars selling the Bostar model; ya have link referring to excat price and model ... Lots of these co's sell knock offs and put Bogus pics ya think you are getting same thing. Right now Im on the fence with CDCO stuff had to return something was junk .. I paid shipping he never got back to me I wasn't issued a refund than . I had to chase him down remind him for 2-3 weeks even sent him tracking # .. I DONT LIKE BEING YEA YEAED .. I like costumer service like Matty...... Anways I fig id juts buy an angle plate to get my credit ... I ra Now if price is right and I have EXACT model I may oder a again otherwise the Jury is still out with dealing with that guy and his tools.
thanks again guys

last when you wedge type you are speaking same as Aloris right? juts want to clarify I apologize if im mistaken

Kennyv. You might like to take a drive down south jersey , ck out cooks tool and machinery , get the address on yahoo or google . He has all kinds of used tools and machines. I use to go there quite often when I ws able. I remember tons of used tooling and chucks ,vises even lights and machine parts . He started out in an old theater in laurel oaks , I think that's right been forty years ago. In fact he's on eBay too , like fazzios oh go there too all kinds of metal and machines too. Nuts and bolts by the pound there ,stock up it's worth the trip. Saturday's fazzios is open till noon cooks not sure of his hrs,

Yupper .. what size lathe are yop referring to using the BXA ?
so the Boster is Ok? help me out got a mental block are we talking the same Model CDCO sells or other I saw maybe Griz or shars selling the Bostar model; ya have link referring to excat price and model ... Lots of these co's sell knock offs and put Bogus pics ya think you are getting same thing. Right now Im on the fence with CDCO stuff had to return something was junk .. I paid shipping he never got back to me I wasn't issued a refund than . I had to chase him down remind him for 2-3 weeks even sent him tracking # .. I DONT LIKE BEING YEA YEAED .. I like costumer service like Matty...... Anways I fig id juts buy an angle plate to get my credit ... I ra Now if price is right and I have EXACT model I may oder a again otherwise the Jury is still out with dealing with that guy and his tools.
thanks again guys

last when you wedge type you are speaking same as Aloris right? juts want to clarify I apologize if im mistaken
Looks like they are on sale right now : http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMKANO=394&PMPAGE=8&PARTPG=INLMPA&PMCTLG=01
If you look at the picture in the ad, the top post is the pistion type and the lower one is a wedge. I have a 12" Clausing lathe and the BXA is a perfect fit. I am guessing that the Phase II AXA is of similar build quality. And right now the Phase II is the same price as a Shars. If you can wait a little while, you can usually get a 20% off discount at enco. Unfortunately, you just missed the last one yesterday :(

As for the holders, the cheap $15-$20 ones work OK, you might need to replace the set screws if you change bits a lot. And the other possible hassle factor is that the Aloris have inch threads but some of the phase II and other imports use metric. The #7 cutoff holder is a little bit of a mixed bag. It's nice that you don't have to grind in the back rake with the blade angled like that, but it makes moving the blade in and out a bit of a pain, since you need to re-adjust the center height each time. I would up making a holder for an inserted blade and use a regular tool block to hold it.

Hope this helps.

Back