Looking to see PM 1022 or PM 1030

Tom-C

Registered
Registered
Hi,
I live in Fairfax VA. I currently have a Travers tool OTMT SC4 lathe with DRO on the compound and a QCTP that I am looking to upgrade. I would like to see and play with a PM 1022 or PM1030. Anyone have one in the Washington DC metro area?

I was waiting to see if you got any replies, several members here have PM lathes but I don't know if any are in your area.

PM is located in Pennsylvania, Google says your location to them would be about a 5 hour drive. The FAQ on their website says you can arrange to see a machine that they have in stock

We do not have an actual showroom, however, if it is a model that we have in stock, you would be welcomed to come see it in person. Please contact us before making a trip, so that we can check stock to make sure we have what you are looking for, and set up a time so that we can have it opened and available for you to see.

I've driven that far to check out a used machine that I paid much less for so if it were me, I'd be willing to make the drive before spending $2-3000 if I wasn't sure about it. The 10x22/30 seems to be pretty popular so it shouldn't be too hard to catch them with some in stock.

I live about 1.5 hours away from PM. When I was looking for my mill I was very interested in going to PM to see the mill run and to try them out before I bought one. PM does not have a "show room" with machines in it that customers can look at and run. Also, with COVID-19 going on I do not think that PM would let someone from out of town come into their facility anyhow. You would be better off trying to find a member here to go look at their lathe. BUT with COVID-19 going on I do not think I would want someone from out of town coming into my shop either.

Good Luck

Roger L

Not sure how much of an upgrade that would be from the SC4, the PM-1127VF-LB or PM1228VF-LB are much much more full featured lathes with a standard D1-4 chuck mount.

sorry wrong thread

Last edited:
I wanted to be a utility outfielder for the Chicago Cubs, sit on the bench, never play (except in practice games), collect the food per diem and league minimum. Instead for 45+ years I’ve been involved in the industrial boiler service business, I’ve made a decent living anddid get to see about 77 different countries around the world.

Hmmmmm. Okay?

MKSJ, I am very limited on space. I originally bought the SC4 as it was the smallest lathe with power crossfeed. I have had my SC4 for 10 years and it is time for something bigger. My DRO is under the handle of the compound and there is not enough room for a DRO on Z. I go from 8 to 10 inch on max swing over the bed and from 16 to 22 inch max distance between centers. 4 inch to 5 inch chucks and everything else gets a little bigger and it will fit where I have. My lathe is on a Harbor Freight 13 drawer tool box and the 42 inch width is about all I have and the PM1022 will just fit. The 1127 is 10 inches longer, 100 pounds heaver and $1,000 more.

Attachments

• IMG_20200620_130611.jpg
    IMG_20200620_130611.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 146
Back