loose vice wrench.

welder

Registered
Registered
i have a mill vice probably from china that the square wrench fits very loosely by 1/16 "gap. it appears to be casted of maybe iron. i would like to fill in the excess play. i have a mig and gas welding equipment. i do not want to crack it or make it brittle. what do you think. oxy acetalene steel rod,brazing rod or mig. thanks

Braze or silver-solder in some gauge plate or shim stock? You can get it in various thicknesses, and it'll be harder and wear better than cast iron.

Dave H. (the other one)

Braze or silver-solder in some gauge plate or shim stock? You can get it in various thicknesses, and it'll be harder and wear better than cast iron.

Dave H. (the other one)
thanks for the reply. any concern about making the cast brittle?

If the square is big enough, change it to a 3/4" hex and get you a common handle to use with the vise. There are a couple of sizes of the hex handles out there if 3/4" is too big, go the next size smaller. Last resort, make a new screw and cut a hex on it to fit a common handle and do away with the square handle.

thanks for the reply. any concern about making the cast brittle?
Hi Welder,
as long as you let the casting cool slowly you should be fine- you're only getting it hot enough to braze

Back