Lost my bearings.........

mofosheee

Registered
Registered
Hello HM forum
I'm rebuilding an antique motorcycle engine (1975 XR 750) and looking for the best cam shaft ball bearings availiable. Want to avoid; Chinese, Indian......
Understand that bearings come in classes. C1, C2, C3, C4. These bearings are not availiable over the counter from HD and the parts guys eyes glaze over when I inquire about replacements. Sizes; 3(ea) 26mm x 8.9mm x 8mm), 1(ea) 39.7mm x 15.82mm x 11.12mm
Is there someone out here in forum land that can point me in the right direction? Thanks!

if you can find the bearing codes (usually on the seals or shields) that will make life alot easier. I have a whole box of NOS bearings which might contain what you need, but it would be a bear to search it by size only.

if you can find the bearing codes (usually on the seals or shields) that will make life alot easier. I have a whole box of NOS bearings which might contain what you need, but it would be a bear to search it by size only.
No shields or seals and no stampings on any of the bearings. NOS as in HD?
I'll search my parts catalogue and see if I can come up with HD numbers
Thanks for responding!

If you can’t find anyone that knows the HD interchange for those bearings, take a look through the Schaeffler Group Medias catalog, it has detailed info on all the bearings they sell and you should be able to interchange them from that based on what you have. They do a lot of automotive stuff, so if it is any different than the standard industrial bearings, they may have it. The second bearing appears to be inch sized based on the measurements you posted, metric bearings are almost always whole mm dimensions. The bore of the first one is most likely 9mm and not 8.9.

https://medias.schaeffler.us/en/selectionassistant?sort=name-asc

You can drill down through the menus to show the bearings that meet the size and type of what you have, and then get the industry numbers to order them from a bearing distributor. You won’t be able to determine the proper clearance from this, maybe someone knows what that should be for that engine.

Any good bearing distributor should have a book called the "I.B.I., International Bearing Interchange Guide" It defines all bearings by construction, size, type of shielding, and a number of other specs. You should be able to find the bearings you're looking for by defining the physical properties like ID, OD width, bearing type (plain< roller, ball, needle, etc.) type of shielding if any.

Many years ago, I was rebuilding a Craftsman single stage snowblower built in the 1970's. I tried to order parts from Sears using the parts manual that came with the machine. The part numbers had been superseded so many times they were unable to find the correct bearings. I called our local Motion Industries distributor and explained the situation. They asked me to bring in the old parts and they would match them up. Even though most of the bearings were well worn they were able to find the exact replacements. The best part was they were about half the price Sears was asking. The snowblower was finally put out to pasture in 2017. Not a bad run for a machine built in 1974.

Back