Lube for Dead Centers?

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Following upon my other thread on why use a live center over a dead one I figured I'd start a new thread on the topic of lube for deads.

What are you guys using for lube on your dead center?

Dutch Boy white lead oil based paint!:biggrin:

I guess you can still get it. The little 4 oz can I have is over 35 years old.

I use white lithium grease. Works fine, just make sure you don't apply too much pressure on the tailstock, or you will overheat no matter what kind of lube you are using.

I also highly recommend carbide tipped centers; little more money, but they don't gall as easily HSS centers.

In this day and age you should be using Anti-seize either nickel or aluminum based.
By the time I was in trade school 32 years ago, lead lube was already removed from the market and shops replaced it with anti size. Some types of grease will work for short periods of time or in a pinch but they don't work nearly as good as anti seize.

99% of the time, I use the white lithium grease; mainly because I've got a bunch. Technically, any grease or oil will work for a short run, but for heavy duty, prolonged use; use the high pressure stuff. Don't remember the brand name we used to use...........;)

Dragging this one outta the grave.....

Any type of anti-seize will work or does it have to be a special brand/kind?

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Bostick Never Seez. Any high nickel formula should work.

Well, now you went and made me drag out that nasty can. You do realize that a single drop the size of a matchhead is sufficient to cover the average man from head to toe, right?

It's the red can, about 30 years old, and for all I know they didn't have all the options they offer now. I doubt they did. I'd say it is the pure nickel. There is no PN I can find on the old beat up can. It is a 16 oz paint can style container. Slogan is " Like a million ball bearings".

Back