Lubing My Lathe (pm 1440)

GTO Kroh

Registered
Registered
What do I lube these with? And how. I just got the lathe. I know way oil for the bed but this is a whole new animal compared to my old 1942 south bend.

Also what do I use when changing oil in the headstock, gearbox,and the carriage gear box?

3b83bc1ddbad8b6c51c2d664714d21ea.jpg82a90db09e8e6af8deff034dfece519c.jpg

3 in one if you can get it, 10 wt non detergent if you can get that. Put the spout on the ball, press and sqeeze.

Mobil "Vactra" for the ways, SAE 10 non-detergent for everything else as Mr. Bredehoft recommended.

Should be the similar if not the same:

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/best-oil-for-fill-holes-on-pm1236.31455/#post-268031

On my PM1236, the oils/lubes I use are:

Vactra #2 for the ways & ball oilers on the carriage, cross slide, compound slide, & tailstock

Velocite #10 for the ball oilers for the threading leadscrew/power feed shaft ends, & gearbox shaft (located behind the gearbox cover).

DTE Heavy Medium (ISO68) for the headstock, gearbox, & apron.

Motul C2 chain lube for the open spur gears.

If the machine is new or if you do not know if the previous owner changed the gearbox and headstock oil, I would do so after running the machine to warm it up. Some Asian machines leave the factory less than squeaky clean inside. If the machine is new you will want to anyway. There will always be a chance of contaminants from break in.

Mobil "Vactra" for the ways, SAE 10 non-detergent for everything else as Mr. Bredehoft recommended.

Hi all, why do you recommend " non detergent" is there a problem with detergent oil. I have been using automotive oil on my small Chinese 3 in 1 lathe for a year or so. Am I making a mistake here?

Regards Basil

Detergent oil/automotive engine oil are designed to suspend/hold the "dirty" particles in the oil so they can then get passed through a filter to filter the particles out of the oil. Most smaller machinery do not have filters so you want the "dirty" particles to settle to the bottom so they don't constantly get ran through the system. Then the particles would get flushed out when the oil is changed. You really should be using non-detergent or hydraulic oil.

generic hydraulic oil is what many have used for these parts. vactra or sunnocco for the ways

Detergent oil/automotive engine oil are designed to suspend/hold the "dirty" particles in the oil so they can then get passed through a filter to filter the particles out of the oil. Most smaller machinery do not have filters so you want the "dirty" particles to settle to the bottom so they don't constantly get ran through the system. Then the particles would get flushed out when the oil is changed. You really should be using non-detergent or hydraulic oil.
Well, thanks for that info. I certainly learned something about oil now. I will be changing the oil before I use the lathe again. Thank you most kindly.
Regards Basil

Well, thanks for that info. I certainly learned something about oil now. I will be changing the oil before I use the lathe again. Thank you most kindly.
Regards Basil
No problem. You're probably not subject to any significant damage in so little time. It doesn't mean you shouldn't use the lathe until you change the oil but the next time you change the oil, use non-detergent or hydraulic oil.

Back