Lubing My Lathe (pm 1440)

This is a question that may be answered already but i would appreciate an answer to this specific
situation.
My lathe is a Romanian make ARAD 320x750mm.She includes a pump for oil circulation and an oil filter
(cleanable, not with disposable cartridge). Also a glass flow indicator.The manufacturer suggests something
like SAE 30.The previous owner used 15W-40 motor oil and the sump holds something like 16 lt,about3.,5 gallons, and not so
easy to drain.I am confused with all talking about detergents in motor oil but from what i understood,
it was mainly for machines without filters and with bronze(or babbit) bearings and components.The question
is:Shall i continue using motor oil or i have to drain and flush the head stock.Only ball bearings are used
throughout the gearbox.Any answer will be highly appreciated but even more an answer with the thinking
behind it. Thanks in advance.
Ariscats

Of it calls for 30 I wouldn't use 40 in it. If it was just splashing on the gears it wouldn't matter much. 40 causes more friction them 30 but in this application you'd never notice it. A car you might get a mile less on you gallon of gas. Probably more like a tenth of a mile. The only concern I'd have is that a barring clearance is to tight to show enough oil to move past it. The 15W only means it has been treated for winter so it can move faster then untreated oil. 15 isn't very much additive. Smaller the number the more additive. Me personally I wouldn't worry about it till you went to change it. If it was filtered I'm not sure I'd ever change it. The great mysteries and misconceptions of oil. For something billions of years old & used every day there isn't many people that know much about it. I'm still learning myself & find the more I learn the less I know.

Of it calls for 30 I wouldn't use 40 in it. If it was just splashing on the gears it wouldn't matter much. 40 causes more friction them 30 but in this application you'd never notice it. A car you might get a mile less on you gallon of gas. Probably more like a tenth of a mile. The only concern I'd have is that a barring clearance is to tight to show enough oil to move past it. The 15W only means it has been treated for winter so it can move faster then untreated oil. 15 isn't very much additive. Smaller the number the more additive. Me personally I wouldn't worry about it till you went to change it. If it was filtered I'm not sure I'd ever change it. The great mysteries and misconceptions of oil. For something billions of years old & used every day there isn't many people that know much about it. I'm still learning myself & find the more I learn the less I know.
Thank you very much.Your opinion enhances what i already suspected.It seems lubrication includes some Black magic together with the additives LOL

Thank you very much.Your opinion enhances what i already suspected.It seems lubrication includes some Black magic together with the additives LOL

Just well keep secrects. If you think motor oil is confusing try figuring out gasoline. ;) & your welcome.

Back