lubrication question for Craftsman lathe

I bought a gallon of Mobil ISO 68 from MSC last week on eBay for $19.77 + $10.00 shipping. I also got a gallon of ISO 10 labeled as "spindle oil", three kinds of cutting oil and some other stuff and it all shipped for the $10. It got here fast.

I bought a gallon of Mobil ISO 68 from MSC last week on eBay for $19.77 + $10.00 shipping. I also got a gallon of ISO 10 labeled as "spindle oil", three kinds of cutting oil and some other stuff and it all shipped for the $10. It got here fast

Not a bad deal at all sixball. Do u have a Craftsman/Atlas metal lathe also? Mine is from 1942. Pretty old machine. It was my grandfather's and before he had it, it was his friend's. I can't wait to use it every time I am out there. I think about my grandpapie that i lost but he would be proud what i am going use it for.

I bought a gallon of Mobil ISO 68 from MSC last week on eBay for $19.77 + $10.00 shipping. I also got a gallon of ISO 10 labeled as "spindle oil", three kinds of cutting oil and some other stuff and it all shipped for the $10. It got here fast.

i am going use the lathe to make my metal parts for walking cains to donate them to the loc va hospital to give disable vets who need help walking and i am going to make some for the childerns hospital in tulsa ok

It looks like the oil dilemma may be solved, but my solution was to call the local Oreilleys store and have them order it.

not a bad deal at all sixball do u have a craftsman/ atlas metal lathe also mine is from 1942 pretty old mechine it was my grandfathers and be for he had it it was his friends. I can't wait to use it every time i am out there i think about my grandpapie that i lost but he would be proud what i am going use it for

My machines are from Taiwan. The lathe is a 1985 Schenwai. I bought a friends machines when he closed his gun shop. The only old machining thing I have is my dad's tool box from when he worked for Douglas Aircraft during WWII. There are some tools in it. I wish I'd payed more attention to him.
The O'Reilly idea is a good one. I worked there for a few years. If you find a counterperson willing to search you can order a lot more stuff than is in the local warehouse.

I have a Craftsman 101.07403 12x24 lathe.

I've been told to use 20-weight NON-detergent oil for the spindle, but that has not been easy to find, especially non-detergent.

How important is it that it be that specific weight; can it be thicker or thinner? Can it be a mixed-weight oil, for example 10W-30?

What about the detergent issue? What will the detergent do to the lathe over time? I've heard it's just for cars with high heat differentials and for moisture control (not sure of all the technical stuff, but let's just go with that!)

Thanks

i can help u find the right non detergent oil for you i got all the stuff book mark

I bought non-detergent 20 weight at OReillys Auto Parts, it's sold as air compressor oil.

ISO 68 is approximately the same as SAE 20. Mobile sells ISO 68 Heavy Medium Circulating Oil which is a good substitute. One of the reasons for specifying ND is that usually it costs less, none of the detergent additives commonly found in automotive oils do any good in a lathe, and some or at least one can do harm. One of the additives makes the oil hydroscopic so that it absorbs water from the atmosphere and a lathe never (hopefully) gets hot enough to boil it off. You may want to use Way Oil (sold by many contractors) on the bed and the dovetails. Everywhere else use ND SAE 20 or ISO 68.

Back