lubrication question for Craftsman lathe

HEY I TALK TO MY MOBILE LUBICATION REP CONTACT AND I KNOW WERE U CAN GET THE RIGHT OIL FOR 23 BUCKS A GAL ON AMAZON

The factory felts are just over 1/2" in diameter by 5/16" thick. You can buy the medium density felt in sheets from places like Hobby Lobby. However, the minimum order is about enough for three lifetimes. And you will need a good 1/2" Arch Punch to cut them out of the sheet. If you need to buy something else from Clausing, the part number is 557-097 or 557-047 (there is apparently some confusion about the number). If your machine doesn't have felts in the spindle oil cups, you should install them. The felt does NOT need to go down into the part of the cup that is pressed into the headstock casting. And do NOT use felt rod made for installing windows and purchased from McMaster. It is too hard and will take several days before any oil put on the top gets through to the bottom. While you are at it, if your machine has them and they are the originals, replace the way oilers and rubber way wipers. too. Part numbers are 547-004 (oiler, 4 req'd), 938-003 (wiper, 4 req'd), 641-055 (retainer, 2 req'd) and 641-056 (retainer, 2 req'd). The retaining screw is #10 x 3/4" pan head self tapping (type A), part number 118534. Retainers and screws are only needed if yours have been lost or damaged or if you machine is old enough not to have them.

I think my machine (circa 1952) was produced in the pre-felt era. The previous owner put what appears to be wadded up cotton in the oil cups. I'd like to replace the cotton with felt disks from Atlas/Clausing. Will I need to replace the oil wells at the same time? The oil wells on mine are 1/2" ID but only about 3/16" deep.

The felt plug for the spindle oilers don't show up in the parts manuals until the late 60's or early 70's. But the spindle oilers are the same from 1932 through 1981. So the factory plugs shown on the late 12" parts lists or ones made the same size and from the same density felt will fit anything except a 6".

1/2" white wicking felt from McMaster, p/n 8767K25, $3.25 for a lifetime supply. Can also be cut into shapes.

I bought a minimum order (which is 5') of the McMaster product. It is much denser than the factory felts. It is probably usable but you should cut it into maybe 1.8" tall disks and push it down to the bottom of the oiler and fill the cup to the top. If cut to the depth of the cup, it will slow down the oil drip-through rate too much, and it won't hold much oil.

i am trying to find some felt that fits in the oil area for craftsman lathe to replace some that is missing any body know were i can get some
The smallest size felt buffing wheel in the Dremel tool kit is the right diameter. I split one in half and made two wicks but that isn’t necessary. It has a tiny little hole in the center but you can scruff up the felt a bit and it disappears. Seems to work reasonably well. Photo attached.

229FC2AB-8C8E-4CC3-972B-0E68EA736973.jpeg

The smallest size felt buffing wheel in the Dremel tool kit is the right diameter. I split one in half and made two wicks but that isn’t necessary. It has a tiny little hole in the center but you can scruff up the felt a bit and it disappears. Seems to work reasonably well. Photo attached.

i found some felt from mcmaster carr site that i am going order

Back