Lubrication

confederatemule

Active User
Registered
I am in the process of replacing the feed trip ball and related paret on a round ram Bridgeport J head mill.

My question is: "what type of lubrication should I use on these parts as I install them?"

I have another question, but, it does not relate to lubrication. When I bought the machine it was missing the table feed bearing cap on the right hand side. The screw is just hanging there. P8240025.JPG
Just by looking and judging from thickness of the cap, I am guessing that the bearing cap on the left side is a double bearing unit.

The question is: "Should the right side cap be a double or single bearing unit?"

Thanks for any help.

Mule

P8240025.JPG

I use way oil on those parts on my Bridgeport.

What does the B-port parts manual call the actual part that is missing? There are actually several parts missing such as the micrometer ring and the bearing holder plate as well as the hand wheel too. You can probably make everything that you need except the micrometer ring and that should be pretty inexpensive from Bport. There are a couple of excellent books about rebuilding Bports and the Original parts manual will also provide a wealth of info and some idea of what you will have to make/buy is shaped or looks like. If you don't have it I would definitely get a copy of the original parts and service manual for that machine. Might give the Ozark wood worker a look to see if he has that manual available as a reproduction for a good bit cheaper than Bports price.

Bob

I am in the process of replacing the feed trip ball and related paret on a round ram Bridgeport J head mill.

My question is: "what type of lubrication should I use on these parts as I install them?"

I have another question, but, it does not relate to lubrication. When I bought the machine it was missing the table feed bearing cap on the right hand side. The screw is just hanging there. View attachment 65895
Just by looking and judging from thickness of the cap, I am guessing that the bearing cap on the left side is a double bearing unit.

The question is: "Should the right side cap be a double or single bearing unit?"

Thanks for any help.

Mule
--mule--first off that is an excellent picture you have there. the parts for your power down feed and trip mech. need only a lite coating of oil--they will function just fine. next-if you look at the screw for the x axis you will see it is quite long on right side. that is because it use to protrude thru the power feed which has been removed, darn. what i would do is e--mail that picture then contact ''leon'' at ''machine builders of new england '' these people build all the power heads for all of todays bridgeport mills--they do bridgeport rebuilds also as another part of their business. they have many used parts including bearing supports and power feeds--ask me i know this?? these people will really be able to help ---here's the link- -http://www.machinebuildne.com/--also 1-800-526-7487..hope this helps--steve in mt.

Thanks, y'all, for the quick and helpful responses.

Oil: What do y'all think about full synthetic oil. All of the advertisements say it lasts much longer than any other oil.

Table Lead Screw: I'll get a book or two and I will be getting in contact with ''Leon'' at ''Machine Builders of New England''.

smallfly, I don't, normally, take good pictures. That must be a fluke. Thanks fer the compliment, though.

Mule

Oil: What do y'all think about full synthetic oil. All of the advertisements say it lasts much longer than any other oil.

Table Lead Screw: I'll get a book or two and I will be getting in contact with ''Leon'' at ''Machine Builders of New England''.

smallfly, I don't, normally, take good pictures. That must be a fluke. Thanks fer the compliment, though.

Mule
---in the guide book i have on ''RENOVATING THE BRIDGEPORT 2J VARIABLE SPEED MILLING MACHINE'' it talks about the assembly of the powerhead and power-down feed compnents . they mention again and again about using 10 wt. oil in reassembly . i had already purchased a gallon of 10 wt. spindle oil for the spindle bearings sooooo thats what i used on reassem. of my mill . hope this helps . re steve in mt.

Mule
Don't use motor oil. It has detergents in it that are made to attract dirt so that it can be caught by your oil filter. As long as it's machine oil you'll be fine.

Don't use motor oil. It has detergents in it that are made to attract dirt so that it can be caught by your oil filter. As long as it's machine oil you'll be fine.

xalky, thanks for the information. I hadn't thought of that.

Mule

Back