M1049 Compound Rest

axshon

Registered
Registered
First post here!

So I was gifted a ShopFox M1049 from a friend who upgraded his shop. He had taken off the compound slide and replaced it with a fixed mount because he mostly used the lathe for threading and straight boring operations. He was not able to find the original compound for this lathe. I purchased a mini-lathe compound rest from littlemachineshop (part # 1769) but its obviously a little small for this unit and it did not include the clamping ring pieces. Grizzly doesn't have the parts stocked and based on the age of the machine probably never will.

So can anyone recommend where I could purchase a full compound rest for this size lathe? I'm fine with adapter plates. Prefer something appropriate for AXA quick change tool posts.

Alternatively, I could make the bottom clamping pieces but this will be my first project and I'm thinking it might be biting off more than I can chew. I also have a cnc mini-mill but I haven't hooked it up yet. I figured the lathe would be easier.

I expect that I'll be doing mostly small and medium projects for things like RC cars and some other hobbies. I also have a young fella at work with a busted retaining pin on an airsoft rifle that I would like to make for him in brass. It's got two different taper angles on it. I think it's small enough that I could grind a tool for each angle but I don't have a good low speed grinder yet either.

Thanks for any advice. Looking forward to making some chips instead of just watching them do it on youtube!

Welcome to H-M . Where in Baltimore ?

Close . I went to " Cate State " many moons ago . I tell people I graduated from UCLA when asked . University of Catonsville Left of Arbutus . I had a Shop Fox here for a while but long gone . So you need an entire compound set-up ?

I brought a Hardinge compound home from Cabin Fever last month . Intended use was to adapt it to my DSM-59 . Decided to sell the lathe so I have this compound set-up .

We lived in Arbutus for 12 years but we're a little farther out now. One of my kids goes to UMBC.

An entire compound would be good if it were bolt-on. That said, I don't have a problem making something new. The guy who gave me this one has all the stuff to fab it. I'm fiddling with 3d printed parts to prototype the mechanism but if do it, I'll have a small compound for tapers and then a much more rigid one to switch out to for straight cuts. Seems like a lot of work. Since I haven't actually used it yet, I don't want to lean too far into some workflow that doesn't fit the things I want to make. The previous owner intended to switch this over to CNC which would have been the best of both worlds but I don't have any plans for that yet.

For the part image attached, I'm not sure how much clearance there should be between mating surfaces on the inner lip and how much overhang on the bottom to give for clamping force. The idea is that I crack the 4 bolts loose, adjust the angle, tighten it up.

Attachments

• Compound-Slide-Mount.png
    Compound-Slide-Mount.png
    157.8 KB · Views: 16
I'll take a pic of the compound here . Maybe it could be used ?

Hardinge compound .

Attachments

• IMG_0950.JPG
    IMG_0950.JPG
    381.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0951.JPG
    IMG_0951.JPG
    416.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0952.JPG
    IMG_0952.JPG
    362.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0953.JPG
    IMG_0953.JPG
    308 KB · Views: 24
Correct me if I'm wrong but that looks like the entire cross slide and compound rest, right? I'd have to look at my cross slide mounting to see how it mounts. I haven't disassembled it that far.

It is a complete unit , yes .

Back