M16x1 Nut

Blackhawk

Active User
Registered
lost the jam nut that came with my ballscrew. Only place to order them are from China that I have found, anyone care to walk me thru it. I have a pm1236 lathe, I have an internal threading tool I made and is baking in the oven. I've done some threading but not internal

I'm in the machinist handbook ed29 and can't seem to find the demensions I need
Lanham

well now I'm not sure it's a m16x1 nut. It goes to a 2005 ballscrew and I read online 16x1. I just measured the outside threads and its reading 14.81. I do know it's 1mm thread cause I checked it with a thread gage

Sounds like it might be a M15x1

The thread depth should be 1mm, so the minor diameter should be 14mm or just a tad less. (Major diameter-thread pitch)

Thanks Jim, my threading tool I made did not get hard enough so I just reheated it and will try to make the jam nut when it's done

Lanham

Thanks Jim, my threading tool I made did not get hard enough so I just reheated it and will try to make the jam nut when it's done

Lanham
I made my internal theading tool out of O1 tool steel. I found that when I draw the temper it dulls quickly but when I just use it as quenched the tool stays sharp a long time.
Ed P

Lanham
What steel did yo use for the tool? What temperature did you heat to? What quenching medium did you use to harden? How are you drawing your temper?

For steels like O1, I usually heat from a point away from the cutting edge and watch the colors run. A faint yellow color is usually what is recommended for cutting tools but you may want the tool harder than that. I would quench the tool as the color is approaching the cutting surface. The tool should be polished before tempering and viewed in bright light. I also repeat the process. An oil bath can also be used. Heat to 400F and allow the tool to soak in the bath. I have not tried it, but an oven heated to 400F should work also. The danger there is that the temperature may not be uniform.

Back