Machinable Stainless for Car Trim

303L is considered a readily machinable SS that sacrifices some corrosion resistance for that work benefit.
Linking to posts in another forum that may, or may not, have relevance to, or even verifiable facts, is probably detrimental to this thread.
Play nicely boys

Cheers Phil

303L is considered a readily machinable SS that sacrifices some corrosion resistance for that work benefit.
Linking to posts in another forum that may, or may not, have relevance to, or even verifiable facts, is probably detrimental to this thread.
Play nicely boys

Cheers Phil

www.pennstainless.com/stainless-grades/300-series-stainless-steel/303-stainless-steel/

These guys manufacture and sell 303 stainless. Under the processing tab it says, "Will work harden, therefore, it should be machined at reduced surface feet per minute and heavier feeds to prevent glazing at the tool interface."

I found a half dozen more sources that agree. All say its the "most" machinable stainless, but they also say it can work harden. Reputable sources like that one.

Saying arbitrarily it doesn't work harden when it is documented that it can may lead somebody into trouble. I don't doubt the Other Poster has had little trouble machining 303. I don't recall having any trouble with 303 either, but I also take the time to research the materials I work with and not just do operations by rote. If you do it the way it worked before it will usually work again, but what happens when it doesn't?

FYI: The same sources (and others) do not say it is not weldable. They say it can be tricky or difficult to weld. Some even offer some suggestions or guidelines for weld processing.

My initial response was much stronger, but I tried to dial it back to just the facts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for all your input. I have 303 round bar stock ordered, as well as leaded naval brass as a contingency (I'll have to plate the brass, which I'd rather not do, but it should machine like butta). I have enough material to make 10 of each material (I only need 4), so I can screw a few up and still have enough for my needs.

I'll post my results.

Thank you for all your input. I have 303 round bar stock ordered, as well as leaded naval brass as a contingency (I'll have to plate the brass, which I'd rather not do, but it should machine like butta). I have enough material to make 10 of each material (I only need 4), so I can screw a few up and still have enough for my needs.

I'll post my results.

Awesome. I always order extra material for jobs for just the same reason. I never know when something will go pear shaped. Atleast brass should plate easily if you have to use it. I doubt you will. Inspite of my nit picking the details 303 really does machine quite nicely for the most part. The biggest reason you might have a problem would be dull tooling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back