Machine oil recommendations needed.

negatronix

Active User
Registered
Hi everyone!! Sorry in advance if this question has been asked a bazillion times. My phone is not letting me search threads... Sorry.

I am wondering if there is an oil (ISO-68) equivalent that I can look for at my local Walmart or autoparts store. I have read SAE 20-30wt, without additives etc.. I am a bit hesitant to put auto oil in, and also a bit anxious to fire up the motor.... Sunday's!!!

If anyone can chime in on something safe to run in my Grizzly GO755 it would be a big help.

Thanks,
-Kory

Thanks Chris!

My manual calls for ISO-68... I assume I should use 68 for the ways, howerver I see ISO-32 on the Grizzly website.. I am 100% new to machining, so please recommend something, if I should not use 68 on the ways.

Thanks!

ISO 68 is a hydraulic oil usley used in the gear box. For the ways chainsaw bar and chaillube works just fine. And is cheap.

So.. being Sunday, I am limited on choices. I see R-O anti-wear hydraulic oil, and tractor hydraulic transmission oil, both super tech brand. There isn't much to go on here. Also, I am looking at a non-detergent sae30wt.. Will any of this work for a break in or should I just wait.

Thanks again everyone!

You are looking for 20W non detergent. I use Mobil Vactra 2 from Enco in 5 gal bucket for my G0755. Don't forget to use the free shipping code. It is also suggested as a way oil.

dave

If you have a NAPA auto parts around, most of the ones around here carry the AW68 oil. Worth a try.

Thanks Chris!

My manual calls for ISO-68... I assume I should use 68 for the ways, howerver I see ISO-32 on the Grizzly website.. I am 100% new to machining, so please recommend something, if I should not use 68 on the ways.

Thanks!

Here re is a table comparing ISO-32 and ISO-68 oils. http://www.greenyourboat.com/Documents/Products/Hydrolic-fluids-iso-32/GM-Performance-Data.pdf

The viscosity of the ISO-32 is less than half of the ISO-68 so you may want to do a little research on what belongs in your lathe.

i did use ISO-68 on the ways for a while, but the one from tractor supply doesn't have tackafiers to make it stick on the V-ways like a way lube should. You probably want to look for a sepearate way lube for the ways unless yours is also a way lube.

I use ISO-68 in my bearings, apron, lube points, and put Sunoco way lube 1180 on the ways.

i was going to get mobil vactra 2 like the old manuals suggest, but mobil changed the formula to work better on all the newer flat way machines, and they don't have all the tackafiers like the older Vactra 2. They did come back out with the origional vactra2 under a different name. I wound up finding the sun way oil and bought that.

chris

Zmotorsports... thank you. When I read your post, I was only a few miles from a NAPA, and had considered myself defeated for the day..Sunday 4:30pm. I figured, what the heck, I'll stop and give it a try. NAPA had it for about $55 for a 5gallon bucket. That made my day! However, my truck broke down so I didn't get to do the break in afterall.. my luck stinks.. maybe tomorrow.

Thanks folks for your help, and input. -Kory

Zmotorsports... thank you. When I read your post, I was only a few miles from a NAPA, and had considered myself defeated for the day..Sunday 4:30pm. I figured, what the heck, I'll stop and give it a try. NAPA had it for about $55 for a 5gallon bucket. That made my day! However, my truck broke down so I didn't get to do the break in afterall.. my luck stinks.. maybe tomorrow.

Thanks folks for your help, and input. -Kory

Glad you were able to find some lubrication, sucks about the truck though.

Back