Machine shop auction St. Helen's OR

Warning: I am not saying they still do it this way. But about 10 years or so ago I bought box of tools at one of Bid Spotter auction and I followed the rules and went the day to pickup the 25 pound box. Most auctions you pay the bill and some walks to the room where it is located and you pick it up and carry it to your car. But No, not them. They have a guy carry it to your car and it was an extra $100.00. So you pay and then they tell you about the "load" fee. I had friends who bought machines and they would normally send their rigger to load the machine on their truck, but NO that was not going to happen either. Bidspotter had their own riggers who would load it on the buyers truck. One guy I knew sent a professional machinery mover who they would not go inside the building just back their truck up to the loading dock. The pick was $500.00 and took 2 minutes. So before you buy contact the auctioneer and get it in writing that you can load the tools and machines yourself.

I can honestly say I've never heard of that before. I've only had two items large enough to need a forklift to load and they did it free.

Just in case I sent an email to the auction company. If they reply I'll post it here.

They got back to me pretty quickly.

Dan,
Yes we will have a forklift onsite AND we will have Integrity Machinery Movers there the day of the auction as well.

Thank you for your interest.
Let me know if you have further questions.
Thank you,
Debbie Connor

But, they didn't really answer the question of whether you are required to pay them to do it.

I took a chance once online. I bought a Starrett gage block set and pin gages. I paid a fair price plus UPS.
When I went to make arrangements to have them shipped, I was told I would have to hire a rigger to box and take them to a UPS store I was quoted $750.
I let them go. That lesson cost me $225
Lesson learned, buy local and inspect before the bidding starts. Read the fine print

Had the same issue with Bidspotter. They wanted $700 to move a $200 machine to the door and disconnect. Lucky I had my proper insurance papers and workers compensation from my business and they let me do it my self.
As said read the fine print carefull.
Edit. That being said there are smoking hot deals to be made
Cheers
Martin

Warning: I am not saying they still do it this way. But about 10 years or so ago I bought box of tools at one of Bid Spotter auction and I followed the rules and went the day to pickup the 25 pound box. Most auctions you pay the bill and some walks to the room where it is located and you pick it up and carry it to your car. But No, not them. They have a guy carry it to your car and it was an extra $100.00. So you pay and then they tell you about the "load" fee. I had friends who bought machines and they would normally send their rigger to load the machine on their truck, but NO that was not going to happen either. Bidspotter had their own riggers who would load it on the buyers truck. One guy I knew sent a professional machinery mover who they would not go inside the building just back their truck up to the loading dock. The pick was $500.00 and took 2 minutes. So before you buy contact the auctioneer and get it in writing that you can load the tools and machines yourself.

Good to know... I am sure that MANY have been caught by this scam. The reply from Debbie Conner that does not state that there is NOT a load out fee really makes me believe there is such a fee. It sounds like they are a really shady business that won't even admit to the load out fee up front. I am sure they have the fee "for the buyers protection" hidden 10 pages deep in some legal disclosure somewhere.

Last edited:
Ask them a simple question.

Ask how much total cost would be on a 10 pound 10 dollar item out the door.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

With the 19% buyers premium it should be gift wrapped and delivered down your chimney! Plus don't forget your State or Provincial sales tax on top.
If you are buying late model equipment $500-$1000 dollars loading fee is pretty reasonable. Not so much for a hobby guy just wanting to get a decent mill or lathe
Martin

Back