Machine shop summer course, Lassen College, Susanville, CA

eeler1

Dang, buggered that up too!!
H-M Platinum Supporter
For people just starting out;

Scroll down to the 2020 Summer Course Schedule. Two weeks of machine shop training, oriented towards gunsmithing, but applicable to machining in general. Good way to get some training within a short window. I think there are dorms available too, maybe even the school cafeteria.

I read a really great blog from that class, it's supposed to be very good and covers some advanced topics. I've even thought about taking some vacation time to do it...

I attended a similar session there, must have been 15 years ago.
That time lapse probably makes my experience irrelevant however, my experience was good.
I'm not certain of the course title. It wasn't machining. May have been about surface finishes.
Anyway, I grit blasted, coated and baked a Colt Commander. I took all my own hand tools, etc.
Isn't it ironic that a gunsmithing curriculum has survived in CA?

The school administration doesn't care much for the program, but it brings in the $, so is tolerated. Barely. Now they have added a wildfire training program that may be their biggest draw. And it is a growth industry judging from the scale of wildfires we have nowadays.

When I attended the summer program years ago, Thursday nights were 'bluing' night. You could bring whatever you wanted, after performing the required prep work, and the students would run it through the caustic bluing process and hand it back to you later that night. Hard to find a reliable and affordable source for bluing these days. I've got so many items that need to be blued that I'm considering going up for that week and taking the caustic bluing class.

It'd be nice if they offered the course "textbook" portion as a internet class.

Found it! nerdgun.blogspot.com is the blog I mentioned above. Good stuff.

I wonder if inmates are allowed to take the class. Teach them a skill they can use when they get out.

Oh, and for those of you who are not familiar, it's in this part of California.
Bulletts n Booze.JPG

It's like a whole 'nother state.

I attended a similar session there, must have been 15 years ago.
That time lapse probably makes my experience irrelevant however, my experience was good.
I'm not certain of the course title. It wasn't machining. May have been about surface finishes.
Anyway, I grit blasted, coated and baked a Colt Commander. I took all my own hand tools, etc.
Isn't it ironic that a gunsmithing curriculum has survived in CA?
Actually yes it is ironic however most of California is very comfortable with firearms and gun smithing.
Not political, just an observation from a long time resident.

Back