Machine shop trade secrets vs. Pocket companion vs. Engineer's black book ??

Just an update from the OP. I got the Engineer's Black Book 3rd Edition and I looked through 80% of it. I HIGHLY recommend it despite some typos and errors I noticed. I'm sure the same information can be dug up from my 10,000 page Machinery Handbook but the quality of the paper, spiral binding, color charts etc makes it an enjoyable read and I couldn't put it down. The only few negatives besides the typos are: they give you a set of stick on tabs but it's up to you to put them on. It used to come with a plastic drill angle gauge but no longer with the 3rd edition.

I'm wondering if I should've gotten the larger print for $10 more since I'm in the over 40 crowd but this one isn't bad with my reading glasses on.

Lastly, since it's spiral bound I think I can put it on my flat bed scanner and print out some of the frequently used charts for quick reference.

Thanks for starting this thread, I’ve been having the same questions.

Lay hands on a copy of Machine Tool Practices by Kibbe...
That looks interesting, thanks for the suggestion. I’ve ordered a used 9th edition version. It gets good reviews on Amazon.

I have the 2nd edition of Fundamentals of Tool Design.
The main focus is designing tooling and fixtures for production machining jobs.
Roughly half the book has to do with set-ups and cam design for screw machines and turret lathe operations.
There are interesting chapters on welding, springs and material properties and more.

“Moltrecht's Machine Shop Practice”
... +1 on this 2 volume set. Lathe is covered in the first volume; mill is covered in the second. I'm almost finished with the first volume, and based upon my satisfaction, I have already ordered the second volume....
I’ve borrowed this from our library and it looks very comprehensive. Just the right balance between pictures/diagrams, text and tables for my liking.

It was freaking terrible when I was in college. Take fluids 1 sophomore year & fluids 2 Junior year? Need a new book! Get unlucky & have fluids 3 senior year? Need a new book!! Get a new professor looking to make their mark? Need a new book!!

Thermo & heat transfer professors were actually sane & did the bit of extra work to assign problem sets & give answers from the last 3 editions. Problems were identical their setup, simply shifted around & with different numbers. That was about the only functional difference in each edition. Thermo Prof: "thermodynamics hasn't changed in the last 200 years, requiring new editions is a scam." He was, by far, my favorite & best Prof I had in college.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Thermo I & II as well as Advanced Thermo was very easy.....now 42 years after the fact of which 20 years spent in senior management, don’t ask me!

The three laws of Thermodynamics ...
1. You can't win
2. You can't even break even
3. You can't even get out of the game
- Alan Bond, University of Chicago, 1966

I recently bought a copy of the 6th edition of Technology of Machine Tools, and have read about ⅓ of the way through. It seems a bit lightweight for my tastes. If any of you are interested, I'd be happy to send it to you for just the shipping charge. Send me a PM.

It was freaking terrible when I was in college. Take fluids 1 sophomore year & fluids 2 Junior year? Need a new book! Get unlucky & have fluids 3 senior year? Need a new book!! Get a new professor looking to make their mark? Need a new book!!

College textbooks prices are a known "racket". Some professors take this into consideration and may choose better-priced texts for their classes--at other schools they don't have the freedom to do this. It's a circumstance created by inelastic demand. Although purists may disagree, to me it rather resembles a monopoly. Similarly, Intuit spends millions of dollars to lobby congress against provided free electronic (tax) filing. Apparently, it's a good investment for them and congress, but evidently not for their constituents. Pharmaceutical providers are similar to the above. In short, power can be predicted to lead to the abuse of it--to the fullest extent possible! And I generally consider myself a conservative--but it ain't always easy! : )

“Moltrecht's Machine Shop Practice”

I’ve borrowed this from our library and it looks very comprehensive. Just the right balance between pictures/diagrams, text and tables for my liking.

Another one to check for in the library is Machine Tool Operation by Burghardt, Axelrod, & Anderson. I originally bought volume II as it had a ton of shaper info, but I enjoyed it so much that I got volume I as well and have been reading it the past few days. Both volumes have stamps from a high school library. These are like the Moltrecht books, only a little more hands-on, and there is extra detail in the coverage of things like cutting tool angles. Obviously some of the chapters feel a bit remedial - this is for shop students, whereas the Moltrecht seems aimed at professionals.

YT vids. Keith Fenner was boring a long tube, loaded up a chip brush with cutting oil, held the brush over the tube opening then used shop air to fog the tube interior. His procedure lasted maybe 15 seconds. Some tricks are better seen than read.

Back