machineable non electrical conducting materials

I use Garolite G-11 from McMaster Carr for insulating material.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#garolite-plastic/=txm7jb

I know it says to use diamond tooling to machine but they are talking about in production. Carbide turning tools and high speed drills work just fine for making low quantities. Cover the lathe ways and wear a dust mask.

My understanding was that phenolic is bakelite with embedded cloth weave. Then again, I've seen phenolic PC boards that had no obvious fabric... So, if phenolic and bakelite are the same (which could very well be), what's that stuff called that has the cloth (not fiberglass) in it? BTW, I haven't seen that stuff used in years.

In any case, when I recommended phenolic, that's the stuff I meant.

John

There are also machinability ceramics available. We made some parts out of one type but can't remember the type. I believe it came from msc. machined it with carbide tools

John, I think you are referring to Micarta. It is a phenolic with a cloth, paper, or glass filler depending on the grade. I have a few pieces of that kicking around out in the shop. Some with glass, and some with cloth. You find the stuff in some of the older electrical switch gear.

Bakelite is a trademark for phenolic-based thermosetting plastics. It's been made with all sorts of reinforcing materials. All the patents have long since expired, so of course there are lots of similar products with their own trademarks. I call them all bakelite. They're all the same stuff: some sort of fiber impregnated with phenolic resin and cured under heat and pressure. Of course, you must consider the composition of the particular variety you choose for a particular application.

Phenolic comes in many grades depending on the base material.
"C" canvas
"CE" canvas electrical grade
"L" linen
"LE" linen electrical grade
"X","XX" and "XXX" paper(the more x's the better electrical properties, lesser x's higher strength)
"G3" fiberglass

And the molding grades would use fillers like wood flour, ground mica, asbestos, and probably other things.

I don't know if you can get it in the right size and shape for your application, but cross-linked polyethylene ("PEX" like is used in plumbing) is astonishingly robust and resilient stuff.

John, I think you are referring to Micarta. It is a phenolic with a cloth, paper, or glass filler depending on the grade. I have a few pieces of that kicking around out in the shop. Some with glass, and some with cloth. You find the stuff in some of the older electrical switch gear.

Thanks Jim! Micarta rings a bell! That's the stuff.

Problem is my "20-20 memory." Within the last 20 minutes or more than 20 years ago, I remember. :rofl:

John

Back