Machinery's Handbook?

deuceman71

Registered
Registered
Is it worth the price for a hobby machinist to buy a used copy of this book, 20th like new for 30.00?

By all means. It is NOT a "How To...." book, but contains invaluable material on properties of materials, specifications of threads, information on gears....and so much more. ALL machinists, whether professional or hobbyist, should have one (at least). The newer ones do contain material related to modern techniques, such as CNC operations, but some things never change, and virtually any MH is worth it's weight in gold. And that's a good price, assuming it is in good shape. I wouldn't sell mine for that.

Paul,
Definately. A 20th edition would be mid 70's era. Perfect for a hobbiest, pretty much up to date info, prolly not too much CNC talk.
They are a wealth of information. Like 42 said, they are not a "how to" more of a "what to"

Cheers Phil

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I better pull the trigger on this deal!

get it... they are worth every penny, anyone that messes around in the shop/garage actually needs one..

A 20th edition is a good one to have for the home machinist. A few editions later they started adding more metric and cnc stuf The size of the book is constrained by the size of the top center drawer on a machinist top chest and something old always has to be left out as they add new. I have three different editions plus several editions of American Machinist Handbook and they all come in handy.

I have a 16th edition, and use 25th at work. As stated before, the older versions have less and less CNC, modern technology etc. Go further back and the books tend to become collector items.

A must have to most people.

I gave away a pretty old one a while back, a hardback & rather compact size with really fine print. Wish I still had it now:*****slap:

I have two, one at work and one at home, wouldn't be w/o them; lots of good general info in addition to the machining info. A friend [fabricator and millwright] where I used to work asked if I thought it worthwhile for him to get a copy; absolutely. He picked up two from Ebay at $25 ea. and uses them constantly, one at work and one at home. His dad is alone now, and visits frequently. Butch said the home copy is his dads favorite reading mtl. when he stops by. $30 is a good deal for a good copy.

Back