Maching Aluminum

has any one used rubbing alcohol (70%) as a cutting fluid , did it work better than wd-40 ?

• opinons

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • did it work

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
OMG ! You used Acetone ! That is such Nasty stuff , you're never supposed to use that around machines ! It's vapors will melt paint , vaporize metal , kill you instantly ! Oh , and it will explode even with ventilation fans on. You should only ever use kerosene .
....well , at least that is what I was schooled on here ...lol

Hey, its the only stuff that worked! If I look like Jabba the Hutt in 10 years, I will remember my folly.

I was using acetone long before the EPA decided it was bad for you. If you got into fiberglass insulation acetone was your best friend, wiped down with it from head to toe many a time.

I used to use WD-40, but now I use Relton A9. It's twice as expensive as WD-40, but it smells better, and doesn't leave residue like wd-40 can. You won't find it locally, but you can order if from a ton of places online, even Walmart believe it or not.

It's 70% - 90% mineral oil, so if you want see what it would be like, just make a trip down your local pharmacies laxative aisle. :D

I was using acetone long before the EPA decided it was bad for you. If you got into fiberglass insulation acetone was your best friend, wiped down with it from head to toe many a time.
That's almost as bad as what the lab rats gone thru in testing that it was bad for you!

Kerosene or a 50/50 mix of kerosene and WD-40.

Where I work we use a fine spray of isopropyl when cutting aluminium, never tried wd40 so can't make that comparison! id say clean up is much easier with alcohol though!

I keep acetone all the time in the shop. I never have used it for cutting though. It is by far the best degreaser for delicate parts that absolutely need to be dry of all oils. I have used that, toluene, MEK, xylol(xylene) for cleaning things, even surface plates. The service guy who came through and did the cal on our CMM used acetone on the air bearings and there was nothing better. It was an old Boice.....hated that thing. Nixie tube readout, HP 8088 processor. What a dog, and I sure was glad when it got replaced. It would work a 5hp compressor to death it used so much air.

WD40 works best at dispersing water....that's what the WD stands for. As far as I'm concerned that's about it. For cutting al.alloy, kero is good. For cutting threads either Rapid Tap or coconut oil. Incidentally coconut oil works quite well as a cutting fluid, but maybe not as well as kero. Up here in 'straya we have the advantage of having stuff called "Inox", its a very light oil in an aerosol. I use it where a lot of people use WD40. Inox is good stuff.
cheers
Bill

Back