Machining a new aluminum chassis for a music streamer build. Finished coating opinion??

I have seen it done both ways, clear over a polished surface and clear over a chrome powder coat base coat. It is not something I have experimented with myself, my powder coating work tends to be more functional pieces right now.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I have seen it done both ways, clear over a polished surface and clear over a chrome powder coat base coat. It is not something I have experimented with myself, my powder coating work tends to be more functional pieces right now.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I think a chrome powder coat base with clear over it would be more durable. The powder coater I talked to said they could do it either way but couldn't warranty the job if they cleared over my hand polished front bezel.

Well I got this project finished up finally. I ended up buying my own powder coat gun and finishing it myself. I was a little leery of trying the two stage powder coat process since I have never tried powder coating before. So, I did the chassis in illusion red and the front bezel in alien silver. I was going to leave the front bezel polished but it just didn't look right with the rest of it powder coated. Photos can't capture how good the color looks in person.....especially out in the sun.Pi6.jpgPi5.jpgPi3.jpg

What gun did you purchase? The cabinet came out really nice!
I bought the dual voltage gun from Eastwood. Its basically an entry level gun but it sure works well. I bought it for what the powder coat company was wanting to do the work for me. A friend gave me an oven for free that I use for the baking process. I deleted the top burners and turned it into an upper shelf instead.

Oven.jpg

dang, that is seriously cool! Fabulous finish too, way more lustre than you'd be able to get with anodising and probably a more consistent finish too. Very impressive.

Back