Machining Hardened Steel On Mini Mill - Speed And Feed Advise Please

edojan

Registered
Registered
hello folks, I need to machine an SKS bolt (a fellow who did a Rockwell test on it claims that hardness varies depending on the specific area - from ~ 40 to ~ 5o ) It may also vary depending on where / when the gun was manufactured. But for all practical purposes I think it is reasonable to assume the hardness between 40 and 50. So I have a hitorque mini mill from LMS (about 1/2 HP and spindle speed range from zero to 2500).
Also got a 3/8" carbide end mill (two flute). The question is the optimal speeds, feeds and the depth of cut. I have read about carbide bits to be usable at much greater speeds. I have experimented on a broken bolt with different settings. The cuts are possible up to 1 mm in depth using the maxium speed of 2500. The 0.4 mm (0.016") depth at 2500 rpm are seem to be reasonably possible, even though the vibrations are much stronger than when I cut aluminum. I was able to go as deep as 1 mm (0.04") with the same RPM but much lower feed. At this extreme settings the mill vibrated like crazy but with very low feed level it still did remove the metalg. I was impressed, but not for long. When I closely examined the carbide end mill I have noticed that it its cutting edge got some damage. Tiny pieces of carbide got broken off (not much just in a couple of place but still - paying the price for my foolish experimenting) So what are some basic rules when cutting hardened steel on a mini mill using carbide tools? And what must be done differently (if anything) if using HSS?
Oh, also I almost forgot to mention using TapMagic cutting fluid which created some smoke but also reduced the vibrations. After that I read some warnings against using cutting fluids with carbide tools allegedly because they get too hot and uneven cooling because of the cutting fluid can produce micro-cracks in the tool. Not sure if this is the reason for the chipping of the tool's edge or is it because I had a couple of "hard" startings - that is not sure how to properly start the cut without the tool being slammed into the work peace the hard way. I hope I express my self clearly here.

Last edited:
I operate on a PM25, I consider it a small mill. If I were doing what you are attempting, I would use maybe 300 rpm and cautious hand feed, DOC no more that .020 or .5mm. I would hope to accomplish my goal at the expense of the carbide mill. The vibration of the mill is what caused the chipping.

Throw out your 2-flute end mill and use a 4-flute end mill. Run it at about 140-240 SFM or 1500 to 2500 RPM. Or what ever you are comfortable with. Just don't exceed 240 SFM. Follow what Tom said on depth of cut and feed slowly. Flood the cutter with a good cutting oil like Mobil Mobilmet 766, not Tap Magic.

Two flute end mills do not work good on harden steels, +45 HRC. Two flute endmills can create chatter and the corners of the flutes chip more easier than a 4-flute endmill. If available to you, find some endmills with a .010" corner radius. The corner radius helps reduce tooth chipping.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken, are you referring to 4F carbide or HSS? Any difference in technique between the two?

Carbide 4 flute

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Edit: HHS will not cut at all on anything above 45 HRC.

How about cobalt? I have a "premium" set of 4 flute end mills from LMS will they do?

Cobalt HSS is still HSS. Carbide is a lot harder than HSS (and much more brittle). I suspect if you try that "premium" set, it will very, very soon be destroyed.

I agree with a 4 flute carbide, not such a big of a whack when the cutting edge comes round to take a chip.

I use SME mobile app on my iPhone for information on recommended cutting speeds and feed rates,
it is very easy to use

Carbide definitely has its place in the industry and also in the HM. But, when to use it or not use it in the HM, that is the question? Carbide has one weakness, it’s hard as hell, but will break like glass. And it likes to be worked, or it does not perform very well. That said, ideally, you would need a rigid machine/set-up and the HP to perform the cutting speed and some coolant. I have a Bridgeport mill and have used carbide cutters with it. You ask? Do I notice any premature failure in the carbide…YES. I do not know about other Bridgeports, but mine is not rigid enough for some of the carbide cutter operations that I have tried. You ask again? Where am I going with this? Well, any mill with less mass and stiffness, like a small bench mill, will be up for a real challenge using carbide…Dave.

Last edited:
Back