Machining Multiple Squares

They are like that aren't they......:)

I visited the makerspace after work today. They have a very small lathe and a small mill. The mill was just recently donated to them and has not even been turned on yet, so they don't know if it needs work. They also have a mini CNC mill and a mini CNC lathe. They don't have any large CNC machines except a big laser cutter. Overall a really nice place with really nice people. I was only planning on being there for 20 minutes but stayed for 3 hours, leaving an hour after they closed.

Speaking of really nice people, I have never been a part of a forum with so many nice people! I was not expecting so many answers to my question with great ideas and advice! Thanks to everyone!

As for the project, I am going to order the brass for the chess pieces and machine them first. After an unexpected expense today, I don't have enough budget to get the square bar too. I'll probably start a project log thread once things get underway.

Thanks again for all of your advice and ideas!

What you are thinking is to use the same metal, cut into equal squares, patina half of them and then put them back together on the same board.

A different and more simple plan would be to get one piece of brass plate the size of the board. Be careful to get same alloy brass or close as possible to your chess pieces so they match close. Polish that sheet to a bright shine, entire plate polished. Get some good quality masking tape, they make good quality stuff for that purpose in painting stores, cover the whole polished plate with masking. Carefully cut out a grid of squares on that taking care not to scratch the metal, pull off the alternating mask to show the checkerboard. Apply the patina same as patina method for the pieces. Then remove the other tape mask to reveal a nice checkerboard of bright brass alternating with patina brass.

An alternate to patina as you think it through would be sandblasting one set of pieces and also sand blasting the board squares after masking off. So bright brass and matte brass.

For ordering the brass for the pieces take care to order an alloy that also comes in the square you are thinking of or the plate.

What you are thinking is to use the same metal, cut into equal squares, patina half of them and then put them back together on the same board.

A different and more simple plan would be to get one piece of brass plate the size of the board. Be careful to get same alloy brass or close as possible to your chess pieces so they match close. Polish that sheet to a bright shine, entire plate polished. Get some good quality masking tape, they make good quality stuff for that purpose in painting stores, cover the whole polished plate with masking. Carefully cut out a grid of squares on that taking care not to scratch the metal, pull off the alternating mask to show the checkerboard. Apply the patina same as patina method for the pieces. Then remove the other tape mask to reveal a nice checkerboard of bright brass alternating with patina brass.

An alternate to patina as you think it through would be sandblasting one set of pieces and also sand blasting the board squares after masking off. So bright brass and matte brass.

For ordering the brass for the pieces take care to order an alloy that also comes in the square you are thinking of or the plate.
If I end up doing the liver of sulfur route, this will probably be the best way to go. The problem is that I would prefer to do a flame patina as long as I can get replicatable results. Soaking brass in a lye solution for about a half hour then introducing a fairly even heat will give it a bright blue and purple iridescent color. I did this in school to a french horn and it looks sweet. I have been practicing this patina on scrap pieces of brass too. I'll figure out how to share some videos a bit later.

Edit: Actually, I remembered that I posted photos and video on my repair blog.

This isn't a plug, as I don't even update the blog anymore, haha.

Last edited:
I visited the makerspace after work today. They have a very small lathe and a small mill. The mill was just recently donated to them and has not even been turned on yet, so they don't know if it needs work. They also have a mini CNC mill and a mini CNC lathe. They don't have any large CNC machines except a big laser cutter. Overall a really nice place with really nice people. I was only planning on being there for 20 minutes but stayed for 3 hours, leaving an hour after they closed.

Speaking of really nice people, I have never been a part of a forum with so many nice people! I was not expecting so many answers to my question with great ideas and advice! Thanks to everyone!

As for the project, I am going to order the brass for the chess pieces and machine them first. After an unexpected expense today, I don't have enough budget to get the square bar too. I'll probably start a project log thread once things get underway.

Thanks again for all of your advice and ideas!

There you go, highlighted in red, perfect tool for your job.

Can a laser cutter cut brass? I thought they could only do softer materials like wood and acrylic.

Back