Machining Work for an "Artist"...Is It Possible?

This is an old post, but I am the OP, and thought I would add the final outcome of working an artisan type, who prefers to "help me" operate power tools in my shop and design in his head, on the fly, as parts are taking shape. You know, "yeah, ok, let's take a little more of there..., I think it will look better that way", kind of thing. A few things emerged.

One, I told him he is no longer allowed in my shop...ever. Secondly, mandatory drawings..., no exception. Third, if I do not feel I can do the work to MY standards or what is called for on the drawing, whichever is tighter, I won't. I personally do not like turning out crude work. Some weeks ago, he gave me drawings to do some work, and I returned them, along with the parts, telling him I did not have the skills or equipment to do it. Phil's free-labor shop cannot do it...hire someone.

I think my blood pressure has gone down, as has my ranting and raving about this guy. Previous people were right. With artistic types, "run, don't walk"!

Phil

Thanks for the final update. I was wondering if you were one of those zen masters that could deal with the chaos that seems to follow those types or you told the guy to get lost. I can take direction from someone who knows what they are doing but not from those that have no clue. The absolute worst for me is constant changes and it seems this guy is purposely trying to keep you in the dark too. Been there, done that and it never ended good always with me telling them don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out the door.

There is quite a difference between having a vision in your own head and making the part and trying to transfer someone else's vision to a part. Any thing other then a dead simple part needs at least a crude drawing that is understood by both parties. I like making the parts for someone where they have a set plan and allow me to decide how to achieve the end result whith no back seat machine operator.

I'm chuckling but I know it's not a laughing matter.
What I was asking was, what is this thing you are building- art or functional item? It seems like your friend isn't good at picturing shapes, sizes, dimensions- maybe you should make balsa wood models first? Are there strength issues that would dictate minimum thickness and size which you could point out to him ahead of time?
You could also point out that most machinists demand a drawing of some kind (even if it's in one's head) before starting a job, and don't allow many changes once cutting has begun
Mark

Balsa model is a good idea, some balsa cement and sharp knife etc.

:)

@Phil3,
Thanks for letting us know the ending. I appreicate it.

Maybe this artist should buy a 3D-printer and make his own parts. He can modify and print 'til he's happy.

-brino

We had an occasional artist come in our shop. Most weren't too bad, and some were really interesting to work with, but I think if it were my business and I was in a home shop setting, I wouldn't want to deal with the possible aggravation

I did recommend a 3D printer as "brino" recommended, but the guy did not want to spend the time learning it. Did not want not want to learn SketchUp either, which is free, to make a simple drawing. At my insistence, he did produce a 2D drawing, on paper with three views, but Good Lord, he could have spent less time by learning and making a drawing out of SketchUp. Oh, but wait, he has no printer either, and could not make work the one he pulled from the apartment trash bin, so would have to e-mail me the file so I could open it and print it here.

I experienced a LOT of frustration with this man's simultaneous "design/build" approach, which absolutely mandated his physical presence in my shop to do the work (since what he wants continuously evolves). I asked him if thought any other machine shop would allow that. He conceded they would not. I said, "And yet, they build prototype parts all the time for customers, but that won't work for you. Does that tell you something"?

And dangerous? Wow... How would you react if using your mill turning the Y axis to cut something, and then a person just starts turning the X axis wheel on their own to help? How about "helping" by shielding me from flying aluminum chips, by holding up a rag between me and the spinning cutting tool? Yes, the air movement pulled in the rag, and ripped it out of his hands. I told him in no uncertain terms, "HANDS OFF"! But, you know what, on the next visit, he had his hands on the mill again! I then told him he was not allowed in the shop, EVER.

The man is frustrating, but also dangerous. "Run, don't walk", was indeed very good advice.

Phil

I had the same type who decided he didn't trust anybody to rebuild his VW engine even though he couldn't even change the oil. So because I was doing side work to put myself through college he decided he was going to "supervise" me even though by that time I'd been doing engines like that for almost 10yrs. After he let a jack down when he was supposed to pump it up (!!! On a floorjack !!!!)I told him my shop time, then doubled it if he "supervised" and quadrupled it if he "helped". I would have refused the job if I'd known what I was getting into but I'd already started. Only the big $$$$ deterred him. But it was a valuable lesson and I never forgot or let myself get runaround by that type again.

I'm really glad you got out of there unhurt. Grabbing a handwheel in the middle of a cut......wow. Then waving a rag around a cutter, crazy.

This is a very interesting and was hoping for a follow up and happy conclusion. Looks like you got there. Hope all the comments and suggestions helped as much as you indicate. I have gone in my shop with a pretty good idea and made something and then redesigned it later, made a good drawing and finished the corrected part, which was so much better than the "artistic" version.
Kudos to you for standing firm (and surviving all the antics beforehand)

Back