Made a lathe toy

That’s very interesting, good job.

Cool! Took me a couple of minutes figuring out how to do this on a lathe, but finally the old gears (in the noggin) meshed. Now I gotta make one. Thanks.

Not a clue as to how you would make that on a lathe but it looks cool

Think of only cutting the section between the squares and creating the convex curve. Then flip the component to do another section. Need 3 flips.

I’d be interested to hear the steps and tools involved. Definately a nice desk toy.:encourage::encourage:

The work holding presents some challenge for the last face but if you have endless time have at it.
Cool work, I would like to see it with the sharp corners after turning.
Also do it with 3 cubes on a sphere (-:

Last edited:
I’d be interested to hear the steps and tools involved. Definately a nice desk toy.:encourage::encourage:
Start with a cube milled to size, place the cube in a work holding device that will allow you to plunge a groove tool that will form a radius at the bottom of the groove, a form tool for example, then create one radial groove in the part. A 4 jaw independent chuck would be an excellent choice for this operation.

Rotate the part 90 Deg. axially and plunge another groove to the same diameter and radius as the first groove, note that you will now be holding the part on what is left of the first operation and it is about to become less robust, tread lightly here. This will also be an interrupted cut the entire time.

Last edited:
How I made it.
Made a hand ground form tool. Held in a 5c square collet with a collet stop.
Started with a 1/2 cube.

Back