Made A New Toy Today

There would be some cleanup to remove the last remnants of the web.
Yes, cleaning up the inside of the ring is the part that I'm stuck on. I can see how to do it without the shaft in there. I can see that it could be done with a complex fixture, but that's inelegant. I think order of operations is key here.

Made a coffee table toy today. It does not do anything, it's just for fun. Made out of one piece of steel.
P1020291_zpslemx6gg4.jpg
jimsehr
NICE WORK!! You did a nice job on that item. I have carved a ball in a box from wood but never considered trying it in metal, I just might try to see if I can do it.

Yes, cleaning up the inside of the ring is the part that I'm stuck on. I can see how to do it without the shaft in there. I can see that it could be done with a complex fixture, but that's inelegant. I think order of operations is key here.
You could clamp the ring in soft jaws and support the dumbbell to keep it from rattling around. Use emery cloth to remove the final remnants of the web and blend in. Depending on your machining strategy, you might have to reverse and repeat.

Bob

It should be fairly easy to make a doughnut with a ball turner. The radius of the ball turner is set to the cross sectional radius of the doughnut and the center of rotation of the ball turner is set to the diameter of the doughnut. Turn the bulk of the doughnut, leaving a central web and carefully finish by turning away the web. There would be some cleanup to remove the last remnants of the web.

Bob
I can see a ball turner would work for turning the outside half of the donut, but for the inside half the cutting tip would have to be cantilevered to reach inside. And then probably cantilevered in the opposite direction to cut the other inside quarter from the opposite side. The typical ball turners I've seen wouldn't be able to reach inside as they would foul with the bottom of the donut.

Last edited:
It would depend upon the design of the radius tool. The one that I designed is too bulky to do it but something like the Holdridge should be able to do it. There have been a number of other homebrewed designs shown that could work as well.
160021943_nice-holdridge-model-3-d-radii-cutter-set-forming-ball-.jpg

You cut and finish the outside form around as far as possible till the web breaks loose. Secure it to one end and finish the inside as far as you can. move it to the other side and finish the other side. On this Wedding Goblet wooden piece I made with two rings, I taped the first one down to one end while making the second one.

Wedding Goblet.jpg

You could clamp the ring in soft jaws and support the dumbbell to keep it from rattling around.
Seems like the dumbbell would have to be small enough to fit inside the bore for that to work or else you'd have to use a cathead.

I suspect jimsehr is laughing about now...
What is wrong with a form tool in the ball turner, and hot glue to support the ring?
Turn a ball and half a ring. polish as needed.
fill the half ring with hot glue
flip the part
turn the other ball, and the second half of the ring, polish as needed
remove hot glue, super glue the ring to the inner ball and turn the shaft to size.
dunno, might be too simple :)

Can't figure out the captured nut unless it is made from two pieces though...

Back