Made A Quick Release Tool Post Handle

GarageGuy

Active User
Registered
I made a quick release handle for my QCTP this week. It is a BXA tool post with a 16mm bolt in the center. I had to buy a 14.5mm tap drill and 16mm 1.5 thread pitch tap to thread it. The rod for the handle is 5/8" redi-rod from Home Depot, but it threaded for 16mm very nicely. As with most things I make, it is a little overkill for size, but it works great. I tried to make the brass knob similar in shape to the one on the tool post. It turned out so nice, I may make another small one for the tool post so they match. I was pleased that the spacing turned out so well. My knuckles have plenty of room between the handles.

GG

tool post release.jpg

GG,

Nice! Just the other day I had the wife grab me a 19mm offset box end wrench to fit my AXA. I cut off the opposite end and smoothed it up on the scotchbrite wheel. But I still think about doing something like you have!

Did you put a flat on the rod in order to tighten it into the post? And, how do you tighten the knob without garfing it up?

Jim

Thank you. I have some small pieces of copper sheet that I use to protect anything precision or pretty. Then I use a big channel lock pliers. Aluminum would work just as well.

GG

I made a quick release handle for my QCTP this week. It is a BXA tool post with a 16mm bolt in the center. I had to buy a 14.5mm tap drill and 16mm 1.5 thread pitch tap to thread it. The rod for the handle is 5/8" redi-rod from Home Depot, but it threaded for 16mm very nicely. As with most things I make, it is a little overkill for size, but it works great. I tried to make the brass knob similar in shape to the one on the tool post. It turned out so nice, I may make another small one for the tool post so they match. I was pleased that the spacing turned out so well. My knuckles have plenty of room between the handles.

GG

View attachment 99690
It is a pretty piece of work! How did you determine the position of the lever on the nut?

I made the nut first, and threaded it onto the tool post. Then I tightened it with my channel lock and copper shims so it would be as close as possible to where it would be when I was using it. Then I put a center punch mark where I wanted the handle to be located.

It was harder trying to figure out the angle of the handle so the two wouldn't interfere with each other, or so I wouldn't mash my knuckles every time I changed cutting tools. I clamped the top nut in my mill vise, and made my best guess. It was an awkward angle to drill, but turned out to be the right one ergonomically.

GG

I made the nut first, and threaded it onto the tool post. Then I tightened it with my channel lock and copper shims so it would be as close as possible to where it would be when I was using it. Then I put a center punch mark where I wanted the handle to be located.

It was harder trying to figure out the angle of the handle so the two wouldn't interfere with each other, or so I wouldn't mash my knuckles every time I changed cutting tools. I clamped the top nut in my mill vise, and made my best guess. It was an awkward angle to drill, but turned out to be the right one ergonomically.

GG
Well it certainly looks like you got the angle right. I was thinking that would be how you would position the lever. Another way would be to make the nut a half thread pitch over length and face it down to get the lever position where you want it. If ended up on the other side, you could rotate the tee nut a half turn. Again it is sweet. I'm with you about making a matching knob for the quick change lever.

You must watch doubleboost's videos too. Was planning to make the same thing. Nice job.

He is from the UK, and has a YouTube channel where he does some machining, welding, and repairs. He talks about tools he buys at "car boot sales". He likes steam engines, hit & miss engines, tractor shows, old railroad, and historic sites. Just recently he showed how he installed a DRO on his new (old) lathe. He is a very genuine person with a wealth of mechanical knowledge. It would be hard not to like him. Here is a link to his channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/doubleboost

Last edited:
Back