MADE IN USA OR MADE IN U.S.A.

Silverbullet

Registered
Registered
Watching a YouTube today an old tuber was complaining that made in USA is really a place in China . But tooling marked made in u.s.a. really is made hear. Has me thinking after reading and seeing the drill posting with the new bit snapping in a twist .

There actually is a town in Japan named Usa. However it was not named for or ever used to export goods to the USA. The rumor was a post WWII myth that apparently still lives on...

I would swear at times it may say Made in the USA but what it really means is Assembled in USA using China and other parts, None of which were actually made in the USA.
Also reminds me of a article I saw and one time about that fact that Made in USA only had to have a small fraction of it done in the USA to qualify.

Anymore if it says made in USA they might be referring to the cardboard box it comes in instead of the contents. Lol

I would swear at times it may say Made in the USA but what it really means is Assembled in USA using China and other parts, None of which were actually made in the USA.
Also reminds me of a article I saw and one time about that fact that Made in USA only had to have a small fraction of it done in the USA to qualify.

Another twist to the advertising is "Designed" in the USA. I purchased a lathe test bar last year that was clearly advertised as being "Made in The USA". When I got it the label clearly said "Made in China - Designed in The USA". As for regulations defining what can and can't be labeled "Made in The USA", they're all over the board. Some items require more than 51% of the components be made here, others only require the final assemble to be done here. It's truly a "Buyer Beware" situation.

In the case of the test bar the company I purchased from was an "authorized vendor" for the manufacturer. As such they used some advertising originally created by the manufacturer. The item was originally manufactured in this country and the advertising proudly displayed that. However when the manufacturing moved off shore 3 years ago the vendor "forgot" to change the advertising. The manufacturer no longer claims the item is made here, but several vendors do.

The bottom line is that there are hundreds if not thousands of companies that falsely advertise they sell products made in the USA. The only way to really find out whether or not it's true is to do hours of research. In most cases even if the advertising is false there is little or no penalty.

Some push the envelope too. A long time ago I quoted a security system for a company in San Luis Arizona who was making leather tool pouches in San Luis, Mexico, installing the last rivet at the end of the stitching in San Luis, Arizona and calling them Made in USA. It was a major tool manufacturer. I keep thinking it was Klein Tools or rather they were being made for Klein Tools, but that was a long time ago. I have first hand knowledge of several other companies who work similarly or have.

Some really poor products are also "proudly" made in the USA. We need to vet them for what they are, not by the stamp of country of origin. I understand well the gripes of USA workers who's jobs have gone away to other shores. Often that was done by a USA board of directors of the company who sells them, and often due to business and tax laws that make doing so the most profitable way for them to go. Shareholders also want maximum profits at all costs. If this is so, and it very often is, then we are dissing the wrong scapegoats. There are worldwide suppliers who can and will fill any vacuum. We create that vacuum...

... and ever rising cost of labor ...

Blaming stock holders is a slippery slope. If they take to much blame and/or don't get a return on their investment they don't invest and industry collapses into ruins.... or moves offshore.

However we are now wandering off into a political arena weighted be strong personal opinions and self interest on all sides and probably should stop before it gets heated.

Back