Made my first cut

twooldvolvos

Registered
Registered
Well, I finally made the first cut on my lathe. I used my parting tool to shorten some bolts. I made a few mistakes. First, I forgot to sharpen the tool. Then I forgot the cutting oil. but finally, I got the job done.

firstCut1.JPG

Then I beveled the ends. And Bob's your uncle.

firstCut2.JPG

Here are the bolts installed on my lathe.

firstCut3.JPG

I kept bumping the compound dial and changing my setup but other than that, it went pretty smoothly. I think I am going to be a fan of the old style tool steel cutters. I was surprised how easy it was to sharpen the parting tool. So I guess I'm on my way.

Well done!
What is the function of that part?

Looks like a multiple position carriage stop to me . :) I just found one down in the dungeoun .

Looks like a multiple position carriage stop to me . :) I just found one down in the dungeoun .
Thanks Dave, I'm curious how it works attached to where the steady follow rest goes.

Last edited:
Well, I finally made the first cut on my lathe. I used my parting tool to shorten some bolts. I made a few mistakes. First, I forgot to sharpen the tool. Then I forgot the cutting oil. but finally, I got the job done.

View attachment 344575

Then I beveled the ends. And Bob's your uncle.

View attachment 344576

Here are the bolts installed on my lathe.

View attachment 344577

I kept bumping the compound dial and changing my setup but other than that, it went pretty smoothly. I think I am going to be a fan of the old style tool steel cutters. I was surprised how easy it was to sharpen the parting tool. So I guess I'm on my way.
You will like a QCTP, also.
BTW, there is a scribe mark on your tailstock spindle for setting tool height.

Back