Mag Drill/Drill Press Conversion

Tmate

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I am in the process of building a stand for my magnetic drill that is based upon a standard 15" drill press without the head. I am using a vintage American made base, column, and table purchased from eBay. While the photo is a photoshop image with Grizzly components, it does show what the final product will look like.

Extensions in virtually any length are available for the 3/4" Weldon shank, giving this setup all the versatility of a standard drill press. In addition, depending on the particular mag drill used, it can have automatic feed, reversing for tapping, and the ability to use annular cutters with or without a short extension. You can also yank the mag drill off the stand and take it to a remote job site. My mag drill will cut up to 2" holes with an annular cutter and 3/4" holes with a twist drill, and has the automatic feed.

I'm curious as to whether any others have an interest in this kind of setup.

mag drill press photo ext.jpg

This is what I did. It was designed in mind for being a portable drill press but same design could be used for a floor mount version

It can be used on any flat surface but is also receiver mounted.

I thought it would be handy but truth be told I have NEVER used it.

Way easier and quicker with a 3/4” Weldon adapter in the DP or 3/4” collet in the mill.

7f4519aec51aa2dbbaa6b0b500aaa4c4.jpg

694e9b6e29d04c5e0391d57540635de8.plist

d7e9ff30fecd031fbaea1d4e7ffe8709.plist

a9aabe22b2f50c8b7b829afab8ccbe8a.plist

Brilliant idea!

What a great way to have a dual purpose machine.

-brino

Back