Mag starter wiring

alloy

Dan, Retired old fart
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm having intermittent problem with the mag starter on my 7.5 hp single phase compressor. I've narrowed it down to the mag starter.

I have another starter I can use to replace it with. Yes it's a Chinese one but hopefully it will work for awhile.

I've never wired a mag starter before, and the Chinese instructions leave a lot to be desired in my humble opinion.

I believe I hook the pressure switch in where I've marked on the instructions, but I'm not sure.

From what I can figure out I take the wire with the blue end off and hook it to the pressure switch and then put the other wire from the switch back where the blue one came off?

Fell free to correct me please!!!

instructions.jpg20231109_195020.jpg

What is the coil voltage of your starter? the schematic on the left is for a line voltage coil the one in the right is for other voltage coils. Does the starter have the "push buttons" attached? basically you want to wire the pressure switch in place of the "On" button but how you do that depends on the coil voltage.

Not exactly- You put the pressure switch in a loop with the coil and the 95 to 96 overload contact, and the power source (whatever the coil voltage needs)
There should be a main on switch either in the pressure switch or external- in the loop
If coil is 220 volts then it would look like this: (no pushbutton; motor connected to 2T1 and 6T3; no wire from A2 to 14NO)
shoulin.jpeg

Last edited:
Honestly I have no idea what the coil voltage is. You know as much as I do from reading the instructions.

I'll give Mark's setup a try.

Well then hopefully the coil is 220v!
The voltage should be on a spec plate/sticker on the side of the contractor.

Sometimes the coil voltage is separate on the bottom or somewhere on the coil body- make sure before applying power
If it's 24 volt it will catch fire and turn into a briquette- or explode- both are exciting
Did you buy it from Amazon? Usually it's mentioned in the ad listing

Last edited:
Does that mean I have to have a 220v pressure switch?

Back