Magnetic base types - Noga articulating style vs double steel cylindrical

They have a Swiss shop there and an example came to $600 USD.
For $600, I'm going to need that holder to position the indicator for me all by itself. My $20 Noga-Nockoff works just fine after a couple years of constant use, going between the mill and lathe.

Last edited:
For $600, I'm going to need that holder to position the indicator for me all by itself. My $20 Noga-Nockoff works just fine after a couple use of constant use, going between the mill and lathe.
I'd need an explanation of just WTF is going on here before ever even considering buying something from them. :D

That's one hell of a complicated setup just to measure clamping deflections, which is about the only thing I can come up with.

Not sure why seemingly every company on the planet keeps giving marketing free reign

535a0a09506378cc1b9eb7e77bba5acb.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I'm looking to buy my new first magnetic base. When looking online, and notice that the Noga style seems to be the most popular it appears to me that it can be tightened that one spot rather than two, good magnet, and right stiffness.

I am looking to buy something half decent but at a point where I'll be purchasing something as nice as the Noga.

I wanted to know if the older style double steel pole is just as easy to use,Or is that a regretful purchase provided it's a good brand-name or am I better off going with a cheap import Noga clone.

if I go with the noga clone, make something at least half decent?
You can make either work fine but the old style is fiddly and troublesome. If you buy the hydraulic lockup type, be it Noga or one of the other brands, you'll throw rocks at the old style, the hydraulic lock up style will improve your machining quality of life so much its incredible. Buy once cry once then never again....

I originally had the old steel rod type. But only had one. So a project came up where I needed two indicators at once, so I splurged on a Noga. What a difference! I kept watching for deals and now I have 2 Nogas and the old steel rod type sits un-used. Do not spend your money on the old style, it's not worth the frustration.

I'd need an explanation of just WTF is going on here before ever even considering buying something from them. :D

That's one hell of a complicated setup just to measure clamping deflections, which is about the only thing I can come up with.

Not sure why seemingly every company on the planet keeps giving marketing free reign

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Yeah, that one really had me scratching my head. What the heck is going on here?
MAYBE trying to level it or confirm some sort of top side / bottom side alignment? and the 3 point support and all the indicators lets you know how much you are adjusting each point?

Sure looks cool though. I'm going to buy a bunch of high-end indicators and holders just so I can do stuff that looks cool on my Seig benchtop mill.

Back