Magnetic base types - Noga articulating style vs double steel cylindrical

Cripes, encountered this thread this morning after opening the Amazon box containing my just-delivered cheap Chinese knockoff:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09B4RPVK3/

Oh well, it's a large-ish clamp head, so I can use it for positioning my shopvac hose if nothing else. I will give it a go with the dial indicator, see if its stiff enough. I messed with it a bit, seems to clamp all the parts pretty solidly.

Given all the subtle hints here, my next such procurement will be Noga... :big grin:
Yours was not an indicator holder, not as critical, yours may work fine for a vac hose. Let us know if it does or doesn't. What size hose?

I'm looking to buy my new first magnetic base. When looking online, and notice that the Noga style seems to be the most popular it appears to me that it can be tightened that one spot rather than two, good magnet, and right stiffness.

I am looking to buy something half decent but at a point where I'll be purchasing something as nice as the Noga.

I wanted to know if the older style double steel pole is just as easy to use,Or is that a regretful purchase provided it's a good brand-name or am I better off going with a cheap import Noga clone.

if I go with the noga clone, make something at least half decent?
This might be helpful in selecting a specific Noga base. I have them all. LOL There is a description below the photo with specifics on model numbers.

I have a few Noga flex-arm holders and love them, like others here. I also have the Noga two-arm mentioned above and it’s great; way better than the generic approach.

But it’s worth mentioning that there are options said to be much better than Noga that may be worth checking out. As I understand it though, MP-Tec are extremely expensive.

As I understand it though, MP-Tec are extremely expensive.
I looked for prices but didn't find any online. Was just curious. I'll stick with my Noga.

On one of our Noga, the thumb knob split. I removed it and use a 9 mm wrench. Other than this, I love them.
Pierre

I have a couple of cheap magnetic bases that I use for Chip Shield, vacuum hose and similar non-critical applications.

For my indicators, I use either the NF 1024 with a DTI (perfect size for my Mini-Lathe & Mini-Mill – total arm length 5"):

NOGA NF 1024.jpeg
Got mine on Amazon about 2 years ago for $95 (now ~$150)

Or the NOGA PH 2040 with a Dial Indicator (12mmØ, 7" & 14mmØ 8" bars; not quite as heavy as Stefan's Solid Stand, but close):

NOGA PH2040.jpeg
Best of both worlds: yes, it isn't as easy to position as the flex-arms, but it is rock-solid and has the adjustment at the base. Picked up on a deep discount plus %-off sale from All Industrial last year for $30.

The Big-Boy is dedicated to camera holding (19" reach):

NOGA Big Boy.jpeg
Also picked this up from All Instrustrial last year, 10% off which brought it down to $160; now over $200+ (except from this seller?)

Yours was not an indicator holder, not as critical, yours may work fine for a vac hose. Let us know if it does or doesn't. What size hose?
Yeah, my indicator has a tab on the back with a hole in it, I think the clamp will grip it for my immediate project. I've been trying to get "manual" to work for rotary table work, but I'm not doing well using the XY handwheels to get to the radii. So, started poking around about DRO, not that excited about the Sherline product, a Touch DRO solution would be my preference but not sure about scales on a Sherline. So, I thought I'd press my dial indicator into "ARO" business, the radii are only about 1/4". The clamp seemed to be an expedient solution that would get other use if it didn't work.

The hose is the one that comes with that micro ShopVac is 1.25" diameter x 4' long, but the hose is rather stiff, may go scrounging for something more flexible.

The hose is the one that comes with that micro ShopVac is 1.25" diameter x 4' long, but the hose is rather stiff, may go scrounging for something more flexible.

Take a look at this 1-7/8” hose at Lowes:

IMG_6609.jpeg
I use a longer version on my smaller Shop-Vac; it’s flexible and a good alternative to 1-1/4” or 2-1/4”

Back