Magnetic chuck question

robbyweeds

Registered
Registered
I have a 66 b and s micromaster 618. It has the original chuck on it. My issue is the chuck has deep depressions around the brass field separators. I believe this was common to put those brass separators below the chuck surface years ago as many have them.

The problem arrises when you try to get the chuck perfectly clean. It us super hard to get it clean when there is those places for grit to hide. I wanted to know if I could mill that maybe 0.050 off the chuck then grind it in.

It seems all the newer chucks have the brass separations flat with the top. I just don't know if I will hurt something.

Picture below to show the chuck.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20221030_141027.jpg
    20221030_141027.jpg
    548.2 KB · Views: 90
What about filling the grooves with JB Weld? That will have no effect on any magnetic properties and make cleanup easier.

My SG is around 100 years old and the brass is flush to the surface.

Coolant erodes the brass. Sometimes, aluminum is used, at least it is a soft white metal, I'd think that aluminum would erode faster than brass in the presence of a bacic (caustic) coolant mixture.

JB Weld contains iron filings which make it mildly responsive to magnetic forces. If you’ve ever tried to adhere rare earth magnets with the stuff and wondered why it seemed to magically crawling around on the magnet as it cured, that’s why. Whether it would be enough to disturb the magnetic qualities of a large chuck like that is questionable, but it’s not completely inert in that regard.

According to JB Weld the epoxy does not contain any metal or other electrically conductive ingredients. I had sent a request to JB Weld because we wanted to use it around and near High voltage (25KV) parts.

I like the epoxy idea. Jb weld or otherwise. I guess consensus is milling it down is bad idea.

Thanks everyone for the help.

FYI I love my micromaster

According to JB Weld the epoxy does not contain any metal or other electrically conductive ingredients

Interesting. I wonder if it was another one like it I was using then? I have a “Cold Weld” made by Permatex so that may have been it.

It could have been the cold weld having metal filings, as it is advertised as being electrically conductive.

Last edited:
According to JB Weld the epoxy does not contain any metal or other electrically conductive ingredients
Though I'll agree thatJB Weld is not conductive, I've played with uncured JB and rare earth magnets. There are definitely magnetic (steel?) particles in the product, which like to form spikes along the lines of force.

Interesting. I wonder if it was another one like it I was using then? I have a “Cold Weld” made by Permatex so that may have been it.

Back