Magnetic Chuck

34by151

Registered
Registered
Made two magnetetic chucks over the weekend

Pics was taken before face milling the surface
They are made from the transfromers from 4 old microwave ovens

To Make the magnets strip the transfromers from the microwave oven
Cut off the base so you are left with the primary and seconday coils on the core
Remove the coils from the core and disgard the seconday (thinner wire) coils
Fabricate a box and weld in the cores.
Make sure the primary coil will be below the lip of the box
Reinstall the primary coil and solder then to a cable
Fill the box with epoxy
Once dry surface the top

As I used 2 coils for each unit, I wired both coils in series but used 3 wires (4mm mains cable)
The center connetion is the green wire, blue and brown to ends of the coils
This way I can connect then to the power supply in series or paralel

For the power supply im using a 48v/30amp switch mode power supply on each unit

I made one with a pipe in the middle for drilling though this one is used in the mill. The other is mounted in a workbench flush with the surface.
I use this holding parts that I have cut on the cnc plasma. Makes it easy to get though dross removal very quickly. I use a twistknot wire bush on the angle grinder for this

As soon as I collect some more old microwaves the plan is to make an second one for the mill and one for the gearhead drillpress
IMG_20210106_084117.jpg

Wow that's a cool project, Please post more pictures!

You must have a surplus of old style microwave ovens down there- here in the states most of them now are inverter style without the large transformer :(
Great project, can't beat the price!
-Mark

You must have a surplus of old style microwave ovens down there- here in the states most of them now are inverter style without the large transformer :(
Great project, can't beat the price!
-Mark
The only thing that cost was the epoxy resin $100 bucks the transformers were free and the steel was scrap around the workshop

Oh yeah cut the ends of some computer power cords (have a box full in the shop) for the wiring.
The PSU's were also supluss. They came out of my CNC Plasma when I upgraded the servo's from 48vdc to 90vac
But they are only about $30 each new anyway

There's a You Tube channel called Make it Extreme that did that a couple of years ago. I keep meaning to do the same myself. I'll have to add this to my 'list of things to do'. Thanks for the write-up!

I would like to know how effective these mag chucks are on a mill. It would seem that the milling forces would exceed the capability of the chuck. But if it worked, wow, that would be a terrific tool. Anybody??

I would like to know how effective these mag chucks are on a mill. It would seem that the milling forces would exceed the capability of the chuck. But if it worked, wow, that would be a terrific tool. Anybody??
I suppose it would depend on the operation and if the work was up against a stop. I think it would be very handy for working on sheetmetal where clamping in a vise isn't possible.

How well it works depends on voltage
Im using 48v which seems to work well

I have not found anything that makes a part move on my mill

I was taking 2mm off the face of a 350 grade steel part using an 8 tooth 150mm face mill with no isssues at all
I find its great for parts the are odd shaped and not easy to clamp in my vice
It also makes it quick and esay for driling. I bring the quill don to the hole then turn on the vice. IE align the part to the quill rather than the other way around, much quicker

Back