Magnetic DRO options

websocket

Registered
Registered
I fininshed running a 30A circuit and my VFD is up and running, now it's time to look for a DRO. PM has the MagXact MX-100M that fits my budget but what other options would you consider in this relative price range?

TouchDRO is a popular homegrown option. I choose to go this way, in part to support the little guy. Ditron mag scales, purchased through Alliexpress, are cheap, and they will sell the 1um version for no upcharge.

These scales were reasonably priced and arrived in about a week:

Pair them with the TouchDRO and you're in it for about 50% of the PM or DRO Pro offerings. If you want support i've heard DRO Pros is as good as it gets. I think both of those offerings are for 5um scales - on a mill you likely don't need 1um scales. If you're looking for a lower budget option it's easy to get 5um glass scales that are what PM used to put on their machines. If you have room for the glass scales they'd likely be more than adequate for your use. There are kits on ebay and amazon very reasonable that come with a DRO and scales for 3 axis.

If you order from Aikron dro, try coupon code "8ctypbg6". I believe that is 10% or more off. I've purchased both my mill and lathe DRO setups from them and had great response from them.

One of the nicest things about their site is the ability to order scales, dro heads all ala-carte and in the resolution you need. Most of the time the scale lengths are all the same price. I ordered extra long mag scales since I wasn't sure how mounting would be and the cost was the same and very easy to cut to desired length. Their slim scale is very small, identical to the larger body, the only difference is the aluminum extrusion they sit in.

The ONLY thing I'd prefer is the smaller read head I've seen on DRO pros or the ones from PM. Not really a big deal, and all the specs/dimensions are on their site and accurate.

They just shipped me a new software update, not critical, but I noticed their display for feed rate on their A30 (EDIT, A30P is the cheaper option) didn't read in the same units that you were in... like if I'm in inch mode, the feed rate was showing in metric units. I had a software update within 2 weeks of letting them know.

Last edited:
what other options would you consider in this relative price range
Not other DRO models, but desirable features: Their are DROs out there that have an extra input for RPM.

get a DRO channel which did RPM. I wanted both RPM and rotation counts (for winding coils etc). So when I was doing my VFD install I incorporated a Hall sensor driving two displays.
D80-3v DRO. Manual says it will do rpm but a chart shows that is an option? Anyone done RPM?
Do a HM advance search of "DRO RPM" and you will see some hits and so some DRO models.

Dave L.

Feed rate is also a feature I wouldn't be without on a mill. Tool library with offsets is another for a lathe.

The Aikron A30 DRO (and whatever scales you get, glass, magnetic and whatever resolution) has feed rate, spindle rpm function (comes with sensor), up to 5 axis (w/axis summing), touch probe input and the RS232 (not sure what this is for). You do need to order what functions you want when you select it as there are so many ports (6 maybe?) so you can only have to up so many inputs. I haven't use it much yet, but the A30 dro from them, the heavier duty display unit seems like it's very high quality, not metal, but heavy duty... we'll see how it holds up over the years. They have an A30P, cheaper plastic, same display/functions, but why cheap out.

From this an other posts, I may sounds like I work for them or get a kick back.. I don't, just found it to be a good value and sharing this info. Time will tell how I like it, but so far, I have zero complaints and glad I went this route. I wish PM provided a few more custom options in their dro packages. I really wanted the 4 axis for z and quill movement (though, in reality, not sure how great that is), a separate scale on the quill is just as effective. I think in the end for a 4th axis, with rpm sensor I was around $800 shipped.

I just started looking at lathe DRO options and I came across the Aikron brand. I like that it actually displays X and Z axis. Looking at their site, they have an option for RS-232. Can anyone explain when this option would be used?

I just started looking at lathe DRO options and I came across the Aikron brand. I like that it actually displays X and Z axis. Looking at their site, they have an option for RS-232. Can anyone explain when this option would be used?
This is the response I got from them when I asked about the RS 232 port.

We will enable a port on the DRO for RS232 communication protocol ,and equip a cable for PC connection ,however we do not develop software on PC,etc,,,

Attached is the document I received from them as well. I really don't know much about it, but it appears it's a way to control/input data into the DRO.... though it sounds like you are on your own for making much of the connection happen.

I think there's a max of 6 ports... so if you want to use them all, you may have to pick which ones you don't want... such as if you get it configured for 4 axis, the RPM gauge and the touch probe input.. you would not have room for the RS 232 as well.

I have used my DRO on my PM benchtop mill and so far like it quite a bit... also got one for my lathe when it comes in.

Attachments

• LCD DRO - RS232.pdf
    258.7 KB · Views: 108
Back