[4]

magnetic led light

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

gonzo

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)

brino

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Hey Gonzo,

That looks great.
Is the gooseneck tight enough to support the light exactly where you put it?

I find I'm fighting with my little home-made light on the drill press........of course I'm using cheap knock-off coolant hose for the neck.
my build was here:
http://hobby-machinist.com/threads/...in-your-shop-today.14637/page-180#post-352374

It seems only one or two sections are loose......I must just try roughening them up to provide some friction.....

-brino

gonzo

Hey Gonzo,

That looks great.
Is the gooseneck tight enough to support the light exactly where you put it?

I find I'm fighting with my little home-made light on the drill press........of course I'm using cheap knock-off coolant hose for the neck.
my build was here:
http://hobby-machinist.com/threads/...in-your-shop-today.14637/page-180#post-352374

It seems only one or two sections are loose......I must just try roughening them up to provide some friction.....

-brino
So far it is just r

gonzo

brino

Active User

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I had eyed that exact light on ebay.

I have been a little unhappy with LED's for detail work. For some reason , they don't give the same detail that incandescent does. Both flashlights, and led bulbs in standard AC. I do use them above my tools, but I did notice that when I put in a regular incandescent, that I saw more detail. Not sure why.

roadie33

Active User
Registered
I bought 3 of them last year and I have 2 in the shop for the Mill and wife snagged one for her office.
Work great and flex neck holds tight bends with no problem.
I put one back under the head on the G0704 pointing down next to spindle.
I like the switch on the head so you can turn it on and off easy.

mikey

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I have two of these: http://woodturnerswonders.com/products/aurora-lathe-lamp

No, not cheap but they work really well. The LED is rated for 100,000 hours and all connections are soldered. The magnet is quite strong and the lighting is white, bright and consistent. The flex arm is really solid - no shaking when sitting on my lathe. I have one on my mill and the arm doesn't vibrate on that machine, either. The best thing is that the LED is cool, unlike Halogen bulbs. Just an option; I got tired of cheap lights.

woodchucker

Registered
Registered

No, not cheap but they work really well. The LED is rated for 100,000 hours and all connections are soldered. The magnet is quite strong and the lighting is white, bright and consistent. The flex arm is really solid - no shaking when sitting on my lathe. I have one on my mill and the arm doesn't vibrate on that machine, either. The best thing is that the LED is cool, unlike Halogen bulbs. Just an option; I got tired of cheap lights.
That just looks like a regular lamp with a mini led insert (conversion from halogen) Very pricey

mikey

Active User
That just looks like a regular lamp with a mini led insert (conversion from halogen) Very pricey
No, its not. Its a heavy duty lamp with a soldered in LED. Check the reviews.

ndnchf

Registered
Registered
These are great lamps - I have 3 of them. One on my WT900 drill press, one on my 12" Atlas lathe and one over my tool box. Well worth the money.

brino

Active User
Here is one postage free.
Thanks for trying, but I see it as USD $9.50 shipping, it must be location based.
-brino

D

Deleted member 43583

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!

Mike, I am with you. I have one of these and it has been robbed from my wood lathe and moved to the mill. I am going to buy a replacement soon! Expensive, yes but top shelf.

gonzo

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
Here is a 30 led light I got for my mill.
It has a magnetic base and works quite well.
You can find them on e-bay at
http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-Led-Sewi...185706?hash=item58b33c266a:g:k9YAAOSwQItT2bOi
I added a piece of acrylic to keep the cutting out of it.
Great call @gonzo, thank you for sharing. :encourage:

I ordered a couple of those on Friday morning and they just came in today (Monday), USPS. Amazing delivery time. Seem to be well constructed and have a very strong magnet. The cord is long enough that it reaches the quad accessory receptacle on the back of my machine. Exactly the right size and design to fit my machine.

upload_2017-3-27_19-36-6.png

Here one is on the mill. Not shown is the shield I put on it to keep the chips out, a small ziploc bag. :grin: Comes with the light;) We'll see how that works out.
upload_2017-3-27_19-29-0.png

With the the shop lights off
upload_2017-3-27_19-31-29.png

With the shop lights on, LED on. Almost perfect backlighting. I'm happy with it. :)
upload_2017-3-27_19-34-7.png

With the LED light off
upload_2017-3-27_19-33-13.png

Attachments

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
Here is a 30 led light I got for my mill.
It has a magnetic base and works quite well.
You can find them on e-bay at
http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-Led-Sewi...185706?hash=item58b33c266a:g:k9YAAOSwQItT2bOi
I added a piece of acrylic to keep the cutting out of it. View attachment 229011 View attachment 229012
Gonzo, How long is the goosneck, and if you wanted to have it straight out, will it hold, or will it droop. I need to do something and even though I am less than happy with my leds , I may give these a try.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
I bought 2 of these. The gooseneck is about 10 inches. Very stiff, stays exactly where you put it at any angle. Seems to be a high quality light. See my post above. ^^^^^^^^^

gonzo

Gonzo, How long is the goosneck, and if you wanted to have it straight out, will it hold, or will it droop. I need to do something and even though I am less than happy with my leds , I may give these a try.
The goose neck remains quite stiff. It measures 7.5 inches.

Ken from ontario

I just received mine ,only took 20 days from China! I'll be attaching it to my mini mill, it is small enough to look like it is a part of the mill albeit the cheapest part.
This LED light couldn't have been made any cheaper.

Last edited:

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Gold Member

I have been a little unhappy with LED's for detail work. For some reason , they don't give the same detail that incandescent does. Both flashlights, and led bulbs in standard AC. I do use them above my tools, but I did notice that when I put in a regular incandescent, that I saw more detail. Not sure why.
Thus is possibly because white LED's are not full spectrum devices. White LED's are actually a fluorescent device, incorporating a phosphor much like conventional fluorescent lamps but where the excitation comes from a blue-violet led instead of a mercury vapor discharge.

LED's have a narrow emission in the far blue region of the spectrum but the human eye is not very sensitive at that wavelength. They have relatively low emission in the cyan and red areas of the spectrum. In contrast an incandescent lamp has

The human eye is most sensitive at 540 nm but as I recall, details are best observed closer to the blue end of the spectrum at the region of the spectrum where emissions are lowest.

I would suggest looking for warm white LED's rather than the cool white or neutral white for a more balanced spectrum. Here is a comparison of the different types of white LED's, courtesy of Cree.
LED Spectrum.JPG

markba633csi

Also I believe the LED lamp manufacturers just use a full wave rectifier but little or no filtering caps so there is a little flicker at 120 hertz.
When you flick your eyes back and forth it's subtly annoying- I find it tires my eyes, more so than the "hole" in the spectrum. Some car tail lights are like that too.
MS
ps Maybe some phosphor-based LEDs have more persistence than others? Not a spec you're gonna find on the box. LOL

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
Also I believe the LED lamp manufacturers just use a full wave rectifier but little or no filtering caps so there is a little flicker at 120 hertz.
When you flick your eyes back and forth it's subtly annoying- I find it tires my eyes, more so than the "hole" in the spectrum. Some car tail lights are like that too.
MS
ps Maybe some phosphor-based LEDs have more persistence than others? Not a spec you're gonna find on the box. LOL
I see the flickering outside when it's foggy or raining. The droplets are strobe stopped. So you can tell it's on/off/on/off.

KBeitz

Bought 6... So far I like them....

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
Those are cool but I prefer "halo eye" led rings mounted on the quill of my RF30. Here's some quick pics off the net of a similar setup. Mines much cleaner as I just used dual sides tape to stick it to the quill. I like it because there's no shadows. image.jpeg t

Attachments

gzoerner

Registered

whitmore

Registered

I have been a little unhappy with LED's for detail work. For some reason , they don't give the same detail that incandescent does.
There's a good reason for that: like fluorescents, diffuse illumination from a panel of LEDs doesn't cast a sharp shadow. Single-point
lighting, lika a halogen desk lamp, is better for textures and details because the shadow line gives good contrast. Spot lighting
from a distance is the ideal situation; maybe try an old slide projector focused on the work surface.

Last eclipse, when the sun was narrowed to a sliver, the apparent texture of a grass lawn was just surreal: it looked like a Photoshop
sharpening filter was applied.

[6]
[5] [7]