Magnetic Scale DRO Dilemma; DRO Pros, M-DRO or Ditron?

Eddyde

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hi all,
I am shopping a DRO for my 13X40 lathe. I want to do 3 axis, so the compound, or top slide, as well as the X & Z. This gives little room for traditional glass scales, so I am looking at magnetic scales as the solution. However, the choices seem to be limited at the hobby level, The only retailer I could find here in the USA is DRO Pros, their 3 axis Electronica brand magnetic scales with a LCD readout is about $1,800... doable but quite pricy.

Hopping across the pond, there's a British company, M-DRO. They have a 3 axis, Easson Brand magnetic scales with LCD readout for about $1,000 USD. I have an Easson DRO on my mill so I know it to be a quality brand.

Then, traveling further East I find Ditron Brand, magnetic scale DRO packages, around $700-800, from various Chinese vendors on Ali Express. I bought my above mentioned Easson DRO on Ali Express, so I'm comfortable buying through them. But I don't have any sense of the quality of the Ditron brand systems.

I'm kind of leaning towards the Easson from M-DRO but would like to hear feedback from anyone who might have purchased from them?

Or may I be convinced the DRO Pros or Ditron are the only way to go?

Or are there any other solutions I have overlooked?

Thank you for your responses,

Eddy

our very own Jim Dawson did a DIY install on his lathe with Ditron bits'n'pieces. I was very tempted to do the same, but cheaped out and went with the standard glass scales instead.

I did a previous thread on purchasing these, I would recommend the Easson 12B/C. There have been a number of scale resolution complaints with the graphical Ditron with magnetic scales, the price difference is small going to the Easson. There have been a number of individuals that have purchase the Easson 12B/C from DRO-UK, arrives in about a week via air freight and all seem to be happy with it. Seems to end up being around $825 with shipping. You want to upgrade the X axis to 1 micron and maybe the compound. Personally I almost never use the compound and find more value to having the 3rd axis on the tailstock. My mill I have the EL700 four axis with mag scales, and also helped a friend put a 3 axis on his lathe. Nice, but not worth the extra 1K in my opinion. My lathe has the Easson 12C with 3 axis, I had 2 glass scales and added a 3rd mag scale to the tailstock.
Mark

Easson ES-12B with magnetic scales machine-dro.co.uk.png

Go with the Easson. I have a kit from M-dro on the lathe and Ditron on the mill.

I'm kind of leaning towards the Easson from M-DRO but would like to hear feedback from anyone who might have purchased from them?

I purchased my M-DRO branded DRO display from M-DRO almost 10 years ago. Back then they went mostly by the Allendale name. AFAIK M-DRO doesn't actually make any of their own branded DRO displays, mine is actually a rebranded Meister & PM/QMT now offers a similar looking model now. But that's irrelevant as you are looking at an Easson. I purchased from them because I wanted a lathe specific DRO without all the useless mill functions. I've never had a problem with my M-DRO or Easson. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Easson.

M-DRO/Allendale are good people & I would order from them again (I have purchased other things from them). But these days I see no reason to order from them being in the UK if you are in the US. M-DRO now has a US distributor which is SRA-Measurement (Well unless there are huge price differences, I've never checked prices at SRA-Measurement. Which BTW I have purchased from SRA as well but from another SRA products line, SRA-Solder).

Or are there any other solutions I have overlooked?

Another vendor I've purchased DRO parts from is xioa1207 on ebay. Very easy to work with & was able to supply me with random SINO parts that I was looking for. He sells Easson too. All my orders came from China & were shipped DHL, arrived in less than a week. That was quite some time ago though.

M-DRO 10% off ends midnight tonight. Use code BANK10

Back