Magnetic swarf remover

I built one of those... but for some reason it wont pick up any of my chips.
Why wont it pick up 6061 ?
:lmao:
(I am just kidding here!)

^^^ Or use one of those special aluminum magnets. ;)

I was just thinking (over thinking?) - why not wrap a whack of wire around a pipe, stick a momentary pushbutton in the top of the pipe, and poof, you've got an electromagnet!
Could be 120 powered (through a rectifier of course), or some sort of DC supply.

Push button, pickup crap, release button, crap falls in can!

I was just thinking (over thinking?) - why not wrap a whack of wire around a pipe, stick a momentary pushbutton in the top of the pipe, and poof, you've got an electromagnet!
Could be 120 powered (through a rectifier of course), or some sort of DC supply.

With the right sized piece of pipe... You could hide either a couple of D cells or a 9 volt inside and make it totally self contained. Hmmm. Juices are flowing...

The problem with that is the pipe would become magdetic. and defete the purpos.

Ok.... Use a dpdt switch. On/off/on, centre off. Each time you use it, flip it alternate ways.
Then each time you use it, you're reversing the field, and demagnetizing it!

I built one of those... but for some reason it wont pick up any of my chips.
Why wont it pick up 6061 ?
:lmao:
(I am just kidding here!)

Have you tried with 7075? :roflmao:

How about a contacter coil from a 24 volt ac relay (maybe from a furnace control or an old door chime) and a door bell transformer. I'm thinkin' that AC might cause less residual magnetism in the swarf.

Only If they could make magnet for Aluminum :abnornal:.wouldn't that be something.

Back